Skip to main content

Sheer Utter Rudeness

Maybe I'm insane, but what ever happened to RSVPing on time to party invitations?

The Rabbit's 3rd birthday party is on the 10th -- I emailed invites last Tuesday, and mailed handwritten invites which were delivered Monday.

There are literally 9 families who have yet to EVEN RESPOND.

Where were these people raised? Not that I believe everything in Emily Post -- but how about sheer courtesy? One parent went through his child's entire schedule for the day implying that if they could squeeze us in, they would let us know. Uh huh. How about, "Thank you so much for the invitation, and we are so sad we will not be able to attend." Or: "Can't make it but Happy Birthday!"

Any suggestions on how to handle this would be SO appreciated. The Prince sarcastically suggested I xerox the page from Emily Post on the number of days one should respond to an invite ("several" "one or two days later is appropriate") and mail it to them. (He thinks I am off my rocker.) At this point, I'm about to fire off an email to these (s)mothers and UN-invite them....(and yes, I know I am sounding like an etiquette hound....)

Maybe this is another moment for a glass of red.....or a date with the bath salts...

Comments

Sugarmama said…
Sadly, this seems to happen more often that not with parties that we give, too, whether for kids or no. When a head count is essential--like when there are party favor bags to fill and games to organize, for example--I'll call people for their damn RSVP. And then will reply with a slightly cold and unconvincing, "That's o.k.," when they tell me how long they've MEANT to call me about the party, they're so sorry, blah blah blah. You are definitely NOT an etiquette hound. It's everyone else who's got the problem. But how to fix it is beyond me!
Manhattan Mama said…
I know! I think I may start sending out invites that say "limited seats!" Just kidding...but not entirely ...
Kelly said…
I have thought this very thing.
The very least people could do would be to call when they know you aren't home and just leave a message. I mean... you're either gonna show or not. Just make your decision and let it be known.
I share in your frustration.
Anonymous said…
...or they could simply hit the "reply" button on the email MM had sent them, then inform her either yea or nay for their attendance. nothing could be easier, i say! she's given them two ways to respond, phone AND email, so these people are just rude or forgetful or radically self-absorbed or all of the above.

although...i've no suggestions for your next move. a follow-up email? if yes to that, then what tone should you strike while harrassing the slackers? hmmm.
Kate B. said…
MM - there is no excuse for bad manners. I think you can assume that you are a true lady while the snooty mamas you share breathing space with at the park, school etc are frauds who don't know any better, despite their high-fallutin' airs. I suggest a job lot of Miss Manners to be given as Christmas presents. And failing that, set the Rabbit and her rubber snake onto their ankles. Whoever said a lady isn't above acts of revenge?

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

A thought

Perhaps sometimes a gift can be delivered in the guise of a tragedy. It's just a matter of perception, after all. I suspect that the talent lies in looking beyond the surface to what lies beneath and beyond. And, of course, being able to make sense of it all and going on to apply that knowledge to building a productive way forward. Here's hoping.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

A friend recently emailed me to say that her big memory of her stay with us last year is that she had a great birthday, one of the few where she didn't 'act like a spoiled grumpy princess'. She tried to give me all the credit but as I explained to her, it was all down to having a fellow female organising the birthday fun rather than leaving it to her partner. Her email got me thinking about birthdays and how very different men and women are in their attitudes to celebrating special occasions. It also had me thinking about my birthday two years ago when I threw a major tantrum in the Carrefour car-park after being told that we were off to do the weekly shop, kids in tow, which was simply the final straw at the end of a very uninspiring day. In contrast, my birthday last year was rather lovely (a morning on my own in a spa with no mobile coverage, pure selfish bliss). This year - in a few short months, eek! - I'll be hitting the grand old age of 38. This will be my las...