Skip to main content

Dubai stereotypes: Alpha Dad

Alpha Dad: phenomenal force of nature

Alpha Dad strides purposefully down the school corridors, leaving a plume of dust (and lesser parents) in his wake. The school receptionist winces and reaches for her Ray-Bans as he flashes his gleaming super-white teeth as he passes; a vision of corporate glamour with the soft morning light bouncing off the starched crispness of his bespoke Egyptian cotton shirt, she's not sure if she should feel overcome with lust... or fear.

Maximising each second of the school run to ensure peak efficiency, Alpha Dad barks orders into his Bluetooth headset at an unfortunate minion whilst simultaneously tapping out an email on his Blackberry and checking stock performance on the i-Phone. Little Johnny Jr trails behind his paternal powerhouse, still reeling from that morning's in-car pep talk.

A daily occurrence, Alpha Dad's morning lectures always leave Johnny slightly perplexed: how is it possible to 'seize the day'?; why would pulling his socks up help to make a man of him?; and, as he chews thoughtfully on his wholegrain sandwich with nutritious organic fillings at snack time, what does 'lunch is for wimps' actually mean?

After dropping Johnny off at his classroom door and a spot of intensive twinkling at the foxier mums, Alpha Dad roars off to the office in his Porsche 911 Black Edition, repeating self-affirming phrases to himself as he prepares to storm the citadel in his (self-titled) role as Dubai's premier 'NASDAQ Ninja'.

Least likely to say: "Taking adequate downtime is essential for whole-self growth and personal development. I simply couldn't get through the day without my morning yoga."
Most likely to say: "It's all about bucks, kid. The rest is conversation."

Despite the similarity in name, this stereotype is in no way related to Alpha Male, my very own trouble and strife; all characters appearing in this series are fictitious and any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Comments

Anonymous said…
love it! especially the Gordon Gecko quotes.
Now my children are at senior school I miss parent watching, especially Alpha Dad!
Kate B. said…
thanks anon, I'm rather fond of Mr Gecko.

Sally - you can come to our school any time you like and have a good old gawk. It's anthropology 101!
Mirdiff Mary said…
Oh no, my husband is Alpha Dad! I am so embrassed.

Great blog.
Andrew said…
if i get like this baby, you have permission to shoot me - downtime and ustime are vital!
safa slly said…
My huband aspires to be alpha dad - only a pot belly and a pajero hold him back!!
Unknown said…
great character, kate you made him come alive!
Anonymous said…
Oh dear, I have just associated myself with one of your stereotypes.

I was telling my son (on this morning's school run) that contrary to the Thomas the Tank Engine lyrics, it is not taking part that matters, it's winning.

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

Environment

Being an expat, a favorite topic of conversation is 'where I/you want to go next?' or 'When do you plan to go home?' It's a good question. I'm not sure I want to stay in Dubai for ever, but I'm also not sure about how long I want to be here for or where else I would like to live. For almost the first time ever, I have no fixed plans apart from keeping my eyes and mind open to interesting opportunities. And as to going 'home', I have no idea where that is. Constantly moving around as a child left me with the feeling that 'home' is wherever I am right now, so in effect 'home' could be anywhere. The longest I've ever lived in one fixed place was 18 years in London, on and off, but that doesn't feel like 'home' either - I love going back to see family and friends, and it's a great place to shop, but that's about it. I have a great love for California, which is where my extended family is from (and where most of the