Skip to main content

Why being 38 kind of sucks

- It sounds really grown-up which, frankly, is a little inhibiting
- It's possible that I'm now too old to wear a mini skirt
- Listening to house music at this age is a little sad, regardless of the fact that I am a fully paid-up member of the original dance-yer-ass-off generation
- Dancing until the small hours in sweaty clubs is still lots of fun but I'm now surrounded by people who are almost young enough for me to have given birth to (if I'd been a teenage mother). My work life also suddenly seems to be populated by people who have no experience of a world without SMS and the Internet. How did this happen?
- As soon as these people under the age of twenty-five learn how old I am they stop acting normally, tone down any colourful language and start saying things to try to make me feel better, like: "Really? I wouldn't have guessed you're that old!" Er, thanks a lot, pipsqueaks
- I'm probably more than halfway through my life and I still don't have the answers

Sucks, huh?

Comments

Anonymous said…
1. You are not too old to wear a mini skirt - just look in the mirror before you go out...

2. Listen to any music you want...

3. Dance away - if you have the energy...

4. You can use the internet and SMS - so stop looking for compliments...

5. Don't tell ANYBODY, especially pipsqueaks under 25, your real age. Who wants to be patronised at any age? Or are you just looking for compliments again (see 4).

6. There are no answers. Just experiences.

Good Luck!
Anonymous said…
you are a cool woman who is obviously insecure about yourself. Learn to love the skin your in, cause its the only one youll ever get.

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

A thought

Perhaps sometimes a gift can be delivered in the guise of a tragedy. It's just a matter of perception, after all. I suspect that the talent lies in looking beyond the surface to what lies beneath and beyond. And, of course, being able to make sense of it all and going on to apply that knowledge to building a productive way forward. Here's hoping.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

A friend recently emailed me to say that her big memory of her stay with us last year is that she had a great birthday, one of the few where she didn't 'act like a spoiled grumpy princess'. She tried to give me all the credit but as I explained to her, it was all down to having a fellow female organising the birthday fun rather than leaving it to her partner. Her email got me thinking about birthdays and how very different men and women are in their attitudes to celebrating special occasions. It also had me thinking about my birthday two years ago when I threw a major tantrum in the Carrefour car-park after being told that we were off to do the weekly shop, kids in tow, which was simply the final straw at the end of a very uninspiring day. In contrast, my birthday last year was rather lovely (a morning on my own in a spa with no mobile coverage, pure selfish bliss). This year - in a few short months, eek! - I'll be hitting the grand old age of 38. This will be my las...