Skip to main content

Game play

I've been devouring books at a rate of knots as part of my psychology course. Some of them are irritatingly dull, some are tough to get through but ultimately rewarding after a bout of perseverance, and some are simply illuminating.

I have just finished one text which belongs to the latter category - so interesting that I read it in one sitting last night (the evidence is in my baggy eyes this morning). The author is Eric Berne, a Canadian-born psychiatrist who ended up practicing in California, my own emotional home. Berne developed the new and, at the time, revolutionary theory of Transactional Analysis. The book, 'Games People Play' was published in 1964 and is, to my mind, still entirely relevant to modern life; I guess basic human nature evolves at a tortoise pace.

I won't go into any detail - I don't want to spoil it for you should you choose to read the book - but I heartily recommend it. Even if you're not especially interested in psychology it will certainly make you laugh and, at the very least, you'll never view a cocktail party in the same light ever again.

Personally, I'm working towards the ultimate paradigm shift - the attainment of autonomy (in TA this is manifested via the recovery of awareness, spontaneity and intimacy) with the end goal being a refreshingly game-free life. Wish me luck.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This is a wonderful book and a invaluable tool for those who choose 'to look'. A game-free life is so refreshing after the never ending bullshit of 'normal' life. I wish you all the luck in the world.
Kate B. said…
Thanks Anon. Funny how much it scares some people though, isn't it? Think I'll need all the luck I can get!

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

A thought

Perhaps sometimes a gift can be delivered in the guise of a tragedy. It's just a matter of perception, after all. I suspect that the talent lies in looking beyond the surface to what lies beneath and beyond. And, of course, being able to make sense of it all and going on to apply that knowledge to building a productive way forward. Here's hoping.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

A friend recently emailed me to say that her big memory of her stay with us last year is that she had a great birthday, one of the few where she didn't 'act like a spoiled grumpy princess'. She tried to give me all the credit but as I explained to her, it was all down to having a fellow female organising the birthday fun rather than leaving it to her partner. Her email got me thinking about birthdays and how very different men and women are in their attitudes to celebrating special occasions. It also had me thinking about my birthday two years ago when I threw a major tantrum in the Carrefour car-park after being told that we were off to do the weekly shop, kids in tow, which was simply the final straw at the end of a very uninspiring day. In contrast, my birthday last year was rather lovely (a morning on my own in a spa with no mobile coverage, pure selfish bliss). This year - in a few short months, eek! - I'll be hitting the grand old age of 38. This will be my las...