Skip to main content

Kidnapping the Kid and Dirt Flavored Beans

Wednesday night we kidnapped The Kid. Before adrenaline rushes through your body  -- we took her to Harry Potter land.      

Yes, I flew to Orlando. 

I am not a theme park opposed person in general. But Orlando? Honestly scared me. SCARED me. Parks crushing with families, in supreme heat, tremendous lack of gluten-free options, hyper imposed "FUN" everywhere. So when The Kid asked a year ago to go to the Harry Potter park (technically part of Universal Orlando ) I said, "Not ever in my lifetime, my love." 

But Wednesday night we turned to her, told her to grab her favorite stuffed animal and hauled pre-packed suitcases from the closet. We wouldn't tell her where we were going but (here's where us as reporters kicks in) : she could ask anyone she wanted. Her first query? The TSA agent -- Did he knew where she was going? Quick second of me wondering if The Prince and I would be swept into closed rooms. He flicked her an eye, me an eye, and handed our passports without answering her.

So after a subway ride, train ride, tram ride, flight and car ride, The Kid, lying on the bed at the hotel at 12:30 am figured out she was about to meet her literary hero. (Yes, that makes me happy to write. Nerd to you too.) And 6 hours later (don't ask me what time the park opens. Don't.) she did.

And so did I. I loved Harry Potter land. From Hogwarts, the roller coasters, Ollivander's shop, the snot flavored beans, just the design and look of it. Maybe it was in contrast to the rest of Universal. But I also loved the enthusiasts. Wearing Gryffidorf scarves in 90 degree heat who traveled to Florida to experience a hyper-realized snapshot of their favorite book. So many Brits too just ignoring their language mangled. I even loved being called a Muggle. (Although note to Universal: I may be one. But it's an insult...right?)

Don't worry -- the rest of Universal lived up to all my worst fears. But at 9 am, snuggled next to The Kid nursing a Butterbeer while she practiced her Wingardium Leviosa on my purse with her Harry Potter wand, I didn't want to be anywhere else.

Well, a spiked butterbeer would have been nice. Just saying. For mama.

Comments

Kate B. said…
cool pic Mama - Hipstamatic for iPhone? Tell the Kid I love her shades. And that being a nerd is nothing to be ashamed of, and that's from one nerd to another :-)
queenmonkey said…
I'm STILL scared!
Manhattan Mama said…
Yes! Hipstamatic...says the nerdette ;
And queenmonkey, I understand the fear.

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

A thought

Perhaps sometimes a gift can be delivered in the guise of a tragedy. It's just a matter of perception, after all. I suspect that the talent lies in looking beyond the surface to what lies beneath and beyond. And, of course, being able to make sense of it all and going on to apply that knowledge to building a productive way forward. Here's hoping.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

A friend recently emailed me to say that her big memory of her stay with us last year is that she had a great birthday, one of the few where she didn't 'act like a spoiled grumpy princess'. She tried to give me all the credit but as I explained to her, it was all down to having a fellow female organising the birthday fun rather than leaving it to her partner. Her email got me thinking about birthdays and how very different men and women are in their attitudes to celebrating special occasions. It also had me thinking about my birthday two years ago when I threw a major tantrum in the Carrefour car-park after being told that we were off to do the weekly shop, kids in tow, which was simply the final straw at the end of a very uninspiring day. In contrast, my birthday last year was rather lovely (a morning on my own in a spa with no mobile coverage, pure selfish bliss). This year - in a few short months, eek! - I'll be hitting the grand old age of 38. This will be my las...