Skip to main content

You Can't Always Get What You Want

I should probably launch into a tome-like explanation over my lengthy absence to the blog. (Boring) But I decline. Instead I'll give you the high-speed chase highlights so we can move on and get to better tidbits going forward. So here we go:

Family member got dramatically ill. Then I got shingles. Not the red band around your middle that makes you scream like you're on fire. No. More like the nerve in your head kind that makes your face paralyzed, knocks out some of your hearing and gives you vertigo that puts high heels and a glass of wine simultaneously out of the question. This was fantastic. And yes, while I'm aware that sounds sarcastic, it is not.

Let me pull an aside here and note that I think epiphanies are like unicorns. They are magical glorious things we hear that people have glimpsed that change their lives -- and they are fairy hogwash.

I did not have an epiphany. I had something more akin to a sledge hammer knocking my canines loose from my mouth. I had a wake up call from the powers that be that said, "Slow the F--- Down. I'm paralyzing your face. Get it?"

I spent the last 8 1/2 years being a mom, a writer, a journalist, a wife, friend and nutter. Yes in that order. And here's what I realized. Put your iPhone down, stop texting and pay attention 'cause this is golden:

You Can't Have It All.

I know. Wisdom of the Gods. (They don't pay me the big bucks for nothing.)

Since The Rabbit was born I stepped right into that movie with Diane Keaton where she's a high speed executive who ends up with a baby literally on her doorstep and tries to out power walk other single ladies and then moves to Vermont and launches a multi-million dollar baby food conglomerate within a 8-minute montage and then falls in love with Sam Shepard and realizes she's happy. That's been me minus the food conglomerate and Sam Shepard. (The Prince is way hotter. Trust me.) But the crazy I have to move 1,000 miles an hour part? Me. And then my face got paralyzed and I spent 3 weeks in bed looking at my frozen face and thinking, "Hey, so, was that worth it?"

So here's the point: It wasn't. And what is worth it is taking my time to enjoy what I'm doing WHEN I'M DOING THAT ONE THING. When I'm reading to The Rabbit at night. When I'm writing a story I care about and want to make work. When I'm having a glass of wine (yes, with flats) with The Prince. When I'm having dinner with a friend. When I find a story worth reporting.

And so here I am. Writing here. Taking the time. Knowing something else won't get done. But being or trying to be cool with it. And ultimately knowing that my shelving something for tomorrow will not result in the Karma Klan pulling the trap door under my a-- and send me down the shoot.

Well, maybe eventually they will. But tonight, I think my a-- (and yes, my recently returned face) is safe.

Comments

Kate B. said…
I'm glad you lovely face is back to normal MM. And I'm glad you're back. Wiser but still witty. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

Environment

Being an expat, a favorite topic of conversation is 'where I/you want to go next?' or 'When do you plan to go home?' It's a good question. I'm not sure I want to stay in Dubai for ever, but I'm also not sure about how long I want to be here for or where else I would like to live. For almost the first time ever, I have no fixed plans apart from keeping my eyes and mind open to interesting opportunities. And as to going 'home', I have no idea where that is. Constantly moving around as a child left me with the feeling that 'home' is wherever I am right now, so in effect 'home' could be anywhere. The longest I've ever lived in one fixed place was 18 years in London, on and off, but that doesn't feel like 'home' either - I love going back to see family and friends, and it's a great place to shop, but that's about it. I have a great love for California, which is where my extended family is from (and where most of the