Skip to main content

The Dubai Review: Petticoat Parlour


Last night was the first of what promises to be a series of Petticoat Parlour events - billed as the ultimate ladies night (how could we resist??) - and held at Z:ONE bar at Media One Hotel in Dubai's Media City.  

Obviously the Mummy Posse and I can never resist the promise of a free drink or three, not to mention the fact that it was ex-Meadows Mummy's birthday (must come up with a new name for you, Mrs Q), so the scene was set for a storming night out. 

Having been warned that the venue capacity is small (Z:ONE is quite cosy) so an early start would be wise, our taxi laden with glammed-up up-for-it ladies zipped down from the 'burbs while it was still light. Which is highly impressive considering that between us we have an insane amount of children yet we still all managed to escape our respective suburban idylls prior to kiddy bedtime hour. What can I say? Good organisation and effective delegation counts for a lot these days.

So, what makes Petticoat Parlour different from the swathe of other ladies nights in Dubai? First of all, it's not a meat market - although a crack squad of hopeful males did descend later on in the evening - and is predominantly a female crowd. Secondly, the concept for Petticoat Parlour (dreamed up by Tammy Urwin at urbanevents) differs from the usual, being a series of evenings and special member nights for women with an interest in vintage inspired fashion - last night was packed full of pretty things from Vintage Parlour and Tora Tora, amongst others, with the added bonus of personal stylist sessions courtesy of Stylephiles Dubai... what's not to love?

I must admit, however, that I may have missed a few of the more unique elements of the night since I got stuck into my three free cocktails (Moscow Mules, very delicious but really quite evil) with the sort of gusto usually only displayed by small children who've been given free run of a sweet shop. 

Yes, to my shame I peaked a little early, not helped by the fact that I was too busy to eat before going out (total schoolboy error!), so was forced to switch to softies while my mummy chums partied on. The consolation, though, were the very danceable tunes offered up by DJ Anas Balghitiwhich gave me ample motivation to carry on until the bitter end... despite feeling a little unsteady on my heels. 

The life of a Dubai housewife really can be fraught with difficulties at times - it's not all cosy lunches at the Lime Tree, shopping sprees at Dubai Mall and endless spa treatments, you know. Skyscraper heels and keeping up with the girls can be a real killer, let me tell you. I think I need to take the rest of the week off. 

Best cocktails: too numerous and delicious to mention but I'd advise you to avoid the Moscow Mules like the plague if you've any hope of doing the school run the next morning
Best tune: the slightly cheesy but nevertheless floor-filling Lady (hear me tonight) by Modjo
Most amusing chat-up line: "Tell me, does being a housewife really fulfill you? What do you ladies get up to all day?"

Comments

ex-meadows mummy said…
What can I say, fantastic night out at Petticoat Parlour and thanks to everyone for helping me celebrate my birthday in style. Bring on the next one!

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

Environment

Being an expat, a favorite topic of conversation is 'where I/you want to go next?' or 'When do you plan to go home?' It's a good question. I'm not sure I want to stay in Dubai for ever, but I'm also not sure about how long I want to be here for or where else I would like to live. For almost the first time ever, I have no fixed plans apart from keeping my eyes and mind open to interesting opportunities. And as to going 'home', I have no idea where that is. Constantly moving around as a child left me with the feeling that 'home' is wherever I am right now, so in effect 'home' could be anywhere. The longest I've ever lived in one fixed place was 18 years in London, on and off, but that doesn't feel like 'home' either - I love going back to see family and friends, and it's a great place to shop, but that's about it. I have a great love for California, which is where my extended family is from (and where most of the