Skip to main content

Annabel Macrae

As I've said before on this blog, I'm never entirely comfortable with being photographed. Family snaps often show me squinting at the crucial shutter click moment, gurning or looking plain annoyed. It's not great. So when my friend Annabel Macrae offered to do a shoot for me with Baby Belly - having promised that she would make me feel comfortable throughout the session and produce fabulous results - I jumped at the chance.

We went down to my favorite beach very early one morning to make the most of the natural light. I didn't think BB and I would have such a great time - although BBs compulsive sand and seawater consumption was of slight concern - fooling around, chasing each other up and down the beach and splashing in the sea whilst Annabel told us to sit this way or that, look in a certain direction, smile... it felt entirely natural. It also helped that Annabel is a lot of fun to be around and has a very easy way about her which relaxes you instantly (even BB, who is currently exhibiting a touch of 'stranger danger' and clings to me like a limpet when in the company of people she doesn't know very well).

So I expected some nice shots. What I didn't expect were the 93 excellent images we ended up with. Here's a selection:







Annabel has kindly offered Mothers on the Verge readers a discount on her usual fee. For more information, go to her website, find her on Facebook or send an email to: annabel.macrae@btinternet.com.

Comments

The Body Family said…
Beautiful photos Kate, thanks for sharing
ex-meadows mummy said…
Amazing photos - Kate you and Belly look fantastic. Annabel, you are a brilliantly photographer (and great friend!) - we must get a date in the diary for you to do your magic on my three boys!
Kate B. said…
Def get Annabel to do some shots for you. The results are well worth it. And of course she's a very nice person to spend a couple of hours with, whether she's on the other end of the camera lens or with a glass of something in her hand!

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

A thought

Perhaps sometimes a gift can be delivered in the guise of a tragedy. It's just a matter of perception, after all. I suspect that the talent lies in looking beyond the surface to what lies beneath and beyond. And, of course, being able to make sense of it all and going on to apply that knowledge to building a productive way forward. Here's hoping.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

A friend recently emailed me to say that her big memory of her stay with us last year is that she had a great birthday, one of the few where she didn't 'act like a spoiled grumpy princess'. She tried to give me all the credit but as I explained to her, it was all down to having a fellow female organising the birthday fun rather than leaving it to her partner. Her email got me thinking about birthdays and how very different men and women are in their attitudes to celebrating special occasions. It also had me thinking about my birthday two years ago when I threw a major tantrum in the Carrefour car-park after being told that we were off to do the weekly shop, kids in tow, which was simply the final straw at the end of a very uninspiring day. In contrast, my birthday last year was rather lovely (a morning on my own in a spa with no mobile coverage, pure selfish bliss). This year - in a few short months, eek! - I'll be hitting the grand old age of 38. This will be my las...