Skip to main content

Dubai Stereotypes: The Ladies Night Lurker

The Ladies Night Lurker (LNL) is not a classy kind of guy. Old enough to know better, often divorced (or will be as soon as his wife finds out about his obsessive Ladies Night habit), desperation oozes from his pores.

You can't spot him by appearance alone - the LNL comes in all shapes, sizes, ages and grades of attractiveness. Tragic clothes aren't much of a marker but he tends to keep in shape - after all, he's been round the block enough times to know that a beer gut isn't going to help him score.

But whatever his physical appearance, the LNL can be easily identified by his beady little eyes darting about frantically as he clocks the room for the shortest skirts and the best cleavage. He might be smiling sweetly at the prettiest girls or pretending to have a laugh with the lads, but you can be sure that he's mentally rating the shaggability of each and every female coming through the door and chalking them up in order of preference, preparing his plan of attack for later, as the evening unfolds and the free grape continues to flow.

Known to hunt singly as well as in a pack (he often brings a better looking mate along to get the ladies to come within striking distance), the LNL is there for one thing and one thing only. He's on the prowl, scouting the gaggles of excited women to mark out the most likely targets... then, when the drinks start to take effect, he's primed and ready to pounce. And if he doesn't score for free this time, well... there's always the fall-back option of the Ladies of the Night (for whom Ladies Night reaps rich rewards) who appear, as if by magic, on the dot of 11 O'Clock.

So, if you have a man at home who regularly heads down to the Westin on a Tuesday night (or indeed to any of the other more renowned meat markets) you'd be wise to be a touch suspicious. And if you're a single girl who regularly heads out for Ladies Night, be sure to check out any potential suitor for a telltale tan line on his ring finger before you agree to that late-night coffee...

Comments

Anonymous said…
I see expat communities haven't changed then - lots of sun, lots of money, lots of hanky-panky!
Louise said…
What was it Lord Byron said: 'What men call gallantry, and Gods Adultery, is much more common, where the climate's sultry!'
Kate B. said…
Anon, indeed, although of course there's always the danger of ending up on the front page of the Daily Mail with a one-way ticket back to Blighty if you choose the hanky-panky option!

Louise - Lord Byron, what a gent!

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

Environment

Being an expat, a favorite topic of conversation is 'where I/you want to go next?' or 'When do you plan to go home?' It's a good question. I'm not sure I want to stay in Dubai for ever, but I'm also not sure about how long I want to be here for or where else I would like to live. For almost the first time ever, I have no fixed plans apart from keeping my eyes and mind open to interesting opportunities. And as to going 'home', I have no idea where that is. Constantly moving around as a child left me with the feeling that 'home' is wherever I am right now, so in effect 'home' could be anywhere. The longest I've ever lived in one fixed place was 18 years in London, on and off, but that doesn't feel like 'home' either - I love going back to see family and friends, and it's a great place to shop, but that's about it. I have a great love for California, which is where my extended family is from (and where most of the