Skip to main content

Dubai stereotypes: The Slummy Mummy

Slummy Mummy looks quite normal from the outside. You'd never know her shameful secret just by looking at her. But shameful it is, for Slummy Mummy is a bit of a slob with a range of shockingly bad habits.

SM has been known to wear her nightie for the school drop-off (cunningly disguised with a big cardi in the cooler months), and she lives in fear of being subject to a rogue gust of wind due to the aged state of her underwear. 

Common SM tricks are to colour in scuffed school shoes with a black permanent marker (she keeps one in her car for this very purpose), bash shop-bought cakes with a rolling pin to make them look home-made (always useful for last-minute bake sales), 'forget' to take her make-up off before bed so she doesn't have to bother to reapply in the morning (a q-tip and a spot of make-up remover makes quick work of panda-eye smudges) , and recycle the less appealing gifts received on her kid's birthdays for the endless stream of parties throughout the school year (yes, that is why she gave your 10-year-old that Dora the Explorer DVD box set last year).

Slummy Mummy's (SM) natural habitat is in the alley behind school just before pick-up, puffing away on an illicit ciggie; her handbag is stuffed full of things designed to hide the evidence, primarily teeth-whitening mints, breath spray and strong perfume, and her big worry is being outed by one of the cleaner-living mums who tut at her as they saunter past. Thursday afternoons are invariably spent on a mass playdate, otherwise known as 'Grape Thursday', where the mummies quaff a range of robust 'spritzers' while fondly watching the kiddies belt each other with whatever garden implements are closest to hand.

Most likely to say: "Anyone up for a play date this Thursday? I found a great cheeky little red at MMI over the weekend, it'll go beautifully with Kettle Chips."
Least likely to say: "Phew. I'm shattered after my 10k run this morning! Just off to cross-reference my filing cabinet."

Comments

Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
Love it, may be a bit too much truth in it
Kate B. said…
There's a bit of slummy in all of us, Denise. Don't you fret.
Claire said…
I love your blog! So funny!
mashhood said…
there stereotypes are really funny....
Anonymous said…
I love the illicit one in the alley!!

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

Environment

Being an expat, a favorite topic of conversation is 'where I/you want to go next?' or 'When do you plan to go home?' It's a good question. I'm not sure I want to stay in Dubai for ever, but I'm also not sure about how long I want to be here for or where else I would like to live. For almost the first time ever, I have no fixed plans apart from keeping my eyes and mind open to interesting opportunities. And as to going 'home', I have no idea where that is. Constantly moving around as a child left me with the feeling that 'home' is wherever I am right now, so in effect 'home' could be anywhere. The longest I've ever lived in one fixed place was 18 years in London, on and off, but that doesn't feel like 'home' either - I love going back to see family and friends, and it's a great place to shop, but that's about it. I have a great love for California, which is where my extended family is from (and where most of the