Skip to main content

The perfect guest

We get all sorts coming through our doors since we relocated to Dubai. Some for a holiday, some passing through, some looking for refuge and a (tiny) few choosing the homely comforts and quirky charm of Casa Alpha over the straightforward luxury of a business trip hotel. Having guests is a new experience for us as oddly enough nobody wanted to sleep on a blow-up guest bed wedged into a teeny space of our weeny London flat (unless very, very drunk)...

Through having experienced so many guests over the past 12 months I now have valuable insight into what makes the difference between welcoming a guest back for a repeat visit with open arms, and being forced to mutter lame excuses as to why another visit this side of my being alive is not going to work out. And I must say that I'll be mending my own manners accordingly from now on.

Following input from friends here in Dubai who also have loads of guests, here is the definitive MotV Good Guest Guide:
  • Make your own way from airport without complaint unless a lift is specifically offered - exceptions being your parents (you owe them at least a thousand late-night, inconvenient lifts from dodgy places from when you were a teenager... so a lift from a nice, clean, well-lit airport is the least you can do), old people, people with broken legs and people transporting tiny children
  • Bring duty-free alcohol (unless your host is Muslim or a recovering alcoholic) and liberate Business Class copies of any magazines or newspapers if at all possible (especially appreciated by those in overseas locations). Confectionary containing high levels of sugar and e-numbers for the kids is always an added bonus  
  • Do not try inflict dietary restrictions upon your host household except in case of life-threatening allergy and/or lack of teeth (vegans who go a bit wibbly when their organic tofu nudges up against a pack of bacon in their host's fridge should not leave their own home, ever!) 
  • Offer to wash up after dinner and/ or clear away (not every night, just enough to show willing). If host accepts then do not wander off looking vague, not to be seen again until breakfast
  • Do not throw tantrums when things do not go your way (unless under age of 5)
  • Balance that fine line between showing healthy independence and spending time with your host. Expecting 24/7 entertainment and chauffeur services will not endear yourself to your host (unless they've specifically offered such enhanced treatment), but going to the other extreme and only showing up for meals is unlikely to earn you any brownie points either
  • If your host has household help then be sure to ask as to what extent you can utilise them for your own needs (i.e. laundry, babysitting, food preparation etc). If you do take advantage of their services then it's customary (and kind) to leave them a tip. Ask your host how much would be appropriate
  • A phone call or email to say thank you and make appropriately grateful noises once you've returned home is simple good manners and lets your host know you got back safely. A card or letter sent the old fashioned way is always charming but is rarely expected (except by very proper people aged 70+) 
If the worst happens and your guest proves to be an ill-mannered child-hating vegan with an allergy to all household cleaning products who leaves a tide of toe-nail clippings in his or her wake, complains about the quality of your cooking and hogs the TV remote control for the duration of their visit, here are some handy excuses to use to avoid any repeat visits:
  • "Sorry but the bidet in the guest suite is leaking, it's a health hazard so I can't have anyone to stay until it's fixed. How long? Oh, a month or two at least. It's a very complicated job, y'know."
  • "I've got a terrible case of leprosy and will be in quarantine for a long, long time. Oh, ten years at least."
  • "I'm afraid I'll be away on business for the rest of 2010. Possibly the rest of my life."
  • "My cat/ dog/ hamster is pregnant. She really needs her rest and she's hyper-sensitive, so she can't handle having strangers in the house at the moment."
  • "Didn't you hear that the Home Office has advised against travel to (insert domicile her) for all (insert their nationality here)? Yes, it's very dangerous. Best wait until things settle down. Yes, maybe next year..."
  • "The guest room is booked up until March 2012. Would you like me to put you on the waiting list?"
  • "Hi! We're not in right now but leave a message and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP."
Disclaimer: The mamagement cannot be held liable for any offence, paranoia or outrage caused by the contents of this post. All behaviour in this post is hypothetical and any resemblance to real behaviour, past or present, is purely coincidental.

Comments

Anonymous said…
YLM! More like CHPW (crazy hormonal pregnant woman). ;-)
Kate B. said…
P*ss off dearest husband, I know that's you dissin' me big stylee. You WILL live to regret it - plus yer dinner's in the Cat-dog.
Mary said…
I read this over breakfast and it made me snort cornflakes. I'm going to print it out and stick it to the back of my guest room door. Thanks!
Lacey J said…
It sure makes me wonder about my own manners when staying over somewheres. I guess we all need to be real considerate when we guest in someones house because it makes a heap of difference to everyone having a good time. I make sure my kids learn how to behave too, having good manners really marks you out as being brought up good or not. You can't be classy with bad manners.
Anonymous said…
How about - Really looking forward to seeing you - hope you don't mind helping out with the kids a bit though - Mindy has come down with German Measles (just a light dose though) and Mondy now has a rash too and I hope Mundy gets it so I can get it all over with - Whoops, sick again! - See you Sunday....
That should see them off!

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

Environment

Being an expat, a favorite topic of conversation is 'where I/you want to go next?' or 'When do you plan to go home?' It's a good question. I'm not sure I want to stay in Dubai for ever, but I'm also not sure about how long I want to be here for or where else I would like to live. For almost the first time ever, I have no fixed plans apart from keeping my eyes and mind open to interesting opportunities. And as to going 'home', I have no idea where that is. Constantly moving around as a child left me with the feeling that 'home' is wherever I am right now, so in effect 'home' could be anywhere. The longest I've ever lived in one fixed place was 18 years in London, on and off, but that doesn't feel like 'home' either - I love going back to see family and friends, and it's a great place to shop, but that's about it. I have a great love for California, which is where my extended family is from (and where most of the