Skip to main content

Pregnancy lies 101: what every expectant mum should know

Lie #1: "You're really blooming." 
Translation: "You're actually ballooning. Like a huge blimp. Euww."

Lie #2: "No, no, you cry if you need too. Pregnancy hormones, hey? Quite normal, I'm sure." 
Translation: "You're a total nutter. Unhinged and insane. How soon can I make my excuses and leave, never to return?"

Lie #3: "Of course you look sexy. I love your pregnant shape, darling."
Translation: "Actually, your new gigantic boobs are kind of fun but your inflatable bum is a bit of a turn-off. But if I told you the truth you'd probably kill me and use your crazy pregnancy hormones as a defence."

Lie #4: "Oh, you're just three months pregnant? Gosh, you must have a big baby in there!"
Translation: "Who's been eating all the pies then? You're only eating for two, you're not Octomom. Take it down a notch, piggie-chops."

Lie #5 (to first time mothers): "Labour? Oh, it was a breeze. In fact, it was a intensely moving and spiritual experience. I would do it again in a heartbeat."
Translation: "I had an elective c-section at a private hospital with all the drugs they could throw at me. The room service was to die for and my doctor was a hottie. It was the best holiday I've ever had."

Lie #6: "I read this great article the other day about the stuff celebs have done while they're having their elective c-sections: tummy tucks, boob lifts, lipo, the works!"
Translation: "Take a hint, fatty."

Lie #7: "I love breast feeding. I plan on doing it at least until Tarquin is out of nappies. It's such a wonderful bonding experience between mother and child. Plus the nutritional value cannot be underestimated."
Translation: "My nipples feel like they've been in a blender and I've practically got bedsores from sitting on my arse feeding Junior all day and all night. Is one week old too soon for weaning?"

Lie #8: "All my children slept through the night from one week old. You have to put them in a routine straight away or you'll regret it. None of this feeding on demand nonsense."
Translation: "My husband won't spring for a night nurse and I'll be damned if I'm going to spend the first three months looking like a haggard wreck. I've got my reputation to uphold!"

Lie #9: "Having children was the best thing we ever did. It's really brought us closer as a couple."
Translation: "My divorce lawyer is on speed dial. I just need to sit out the recession if I'm going to get any kind of decent pay-off. Boarding school and holidays in St Barths don't come cheap, y'know."

Lie #10: "I love being at home with the kids all day. It's so much fun..."
Translation: "...when they're asleep. I need some down time in the middle of the day to recover from the endless tantrums/ pooey nappies/ demands for chocolate/ idiotic kiddie TV on an endless loop. The day Diddums drops his afternoon nap is the day I spam my CV out to everyone on my email contacts list."

Comments

Anonymous said…
Phew! The truth at last! And they don't tell you that Junior becomes Senior and still wants room service for self and friends! And the friends! Phew again! I could never understand why hotty guys ended up with ugly old mares. Imprinting! Those first few weeks of constant bawling brings haggard old big floppy tits running with food on demand - love at first sight. Never leaves them. That is why your gorgeous son ends up with a motherly smotherly ugly bird - it is just you at your worst! Why bother!
Anonymous said…
Very amusing, loved it. You make some excellent points, especially about the labour, in fact it's all great. Thanks for a good laugh.

CJ xx
sarah said…
hilarious! love it!
Kate B. said…
Thanks y'all. Sure there's a whole gamut of fun still to be had (haven't even got to the stretch mark and walking like I've pooped my pants stage yet) so hurrah. There's plenty more humiliation still to be heaped on my particular plate, I'm certain of it. Keep on readin'!

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

Environment

Being an expat, a favorite topic of conversation is 'where I/you want to go next?' or 'When do you plan to go home?' It's a good question. I'm not sure I want to stay in Dubai for ever, but I'm also not sure about how long I want to be here for or where else I would like to live. For almost the first time ever, I have no fixed plans apart from keeping my eyes and mind open to interesting opportunities. And as to going 'home', I have no idea where that is. Constantly moving around as a child left me with the feeling that 'home' is wherever I am right now, so in effect 'home' could be anywhere. The longest I've ever lived in one fixed place was 18 years in London, on and off, but that doesn't feel like 'home' either - I love going back to see family and friends, and it's a great place to shop, but that's about it. I have a great love for California, which is where my extended family is from (and where most of the