Skip to main content

Princess Tanty-Pants strikes again

Firstborn has become a bit of a diva. The household vibe used to be dominated by The Small(er) One - who kind people described as 'determined' - but since she turned into a reasonable human being recently (almost overnight, we are still reeling in shock and, truth be told, slightly suspicious), the mantle has been taken on with astonishing verve by Firstborn.

Clothing is a whole new battlefield as Firstborn refuses to wear anything except one of two pairs of increasingly ratty-looking shorts and a few tired-looking blue or brown t-shirts; how I long for a return of the good old days, when the colour pink reigned and Firstborn modelled her look on that of Dolly Parton. But the lack of sartorial elegance is the least of my worries.

The suggestion that homework needs to be completed (or indeed, anything that doesn't involve playing or watching cartoons) is invariably met with an upward eye-roll and a bellowed: "Oh, Mummy!", followed by slammed doors, bitter tears and the inevitable accusation that I'm trying to ruin her life.

The Small(er) One is now a source of constant annoyance to Firstborn. Whereas Firstborn would previously ignore or cajole the Small(er) One when she was being a pest, she now resorts to violence, screaming, name-calling or teasing. It inevitably ends with tears and bad temper all round (myself included).

Being taken for a vaccination shot at the doctor's yesterday - Firstborn kicked and bit Alpha in an attempt to escape the hated needle, screamed the place down and had to be physically restrained. The doctor said something about a phobia but Mean Ol' Mummy suspects may have been a case of amateur dramatics gone wild.

It's quite perplexing. Firstborn was always my well-behaved tender-hearted child, the one who could be relied upon to be reasonable and who wanted to please those around her (and especially me). Even her toddler tantrum days were short-lived and fairly easy to defuse. I expected jealousy when the Small(er) One arrived but Firstborn loved her at first sight. Every school report I have ever received has described her as polite, caring, a delight to have in class and always well behaved.

Well, Firstborn may still be fairly well-behaved at school (thank God for small mercies) but she seems to have found an outlet for her darker side elsewhere...

Can someone please reassure me that the pre-teen diva strops are merely a blip and not something that I am going to have to battle with every day from now until Firstborn comes of age?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Either you are being too strict or not strict enough. What on earth is wrong with tatty shorts? Isn't it normal to scream when a strange man in a white coat looms over you with a huge needle. Seems like Firstborn has the right instincts. Must be something wrong with the parents then!
Kate B. said…
Thanks Anon - although which is it, am I being too strict or not strict enough? I'm sure you can appreciate the confusion, with the two being diametrically opposed...

Obviously it is always the fault of the parents, especially the mother, who is used to having all sorts of blame laid at her feet (from buying the wrong sort of cheese to a smorgasbord of all that's wrong with the world). Naturally I accept this most feminine of burdens, albeit with a heavy heart.

Of course, it is always possible that this is normal behaviour for a 7 year old (and other mothers with daughters of a similar age seem to agree with me).

P.S. you haven't seen the tatty shorts.

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

Environment

Being an expat, a favorite topic of conversation is 'where I/you want to go next?' or 'When do you plan to go home?' It's a good question. I'm not sure I want to stay in Dubai for ever, but I'm also not sure about how long I want to be here for or where else I would like to live. For almost the first time ever, I have no fixed plans apart from keeping my eyes and mind open to interesting opportunities. And as to going 'home', I have no idea where that is. Constantly moving around as a child left me with the feeling that 'home' is wherever I am right now, so in effect 'home' could be anywhere. The longest I've ever lived in one fixed place was 18 years in London, on and off, but that doesn't feel like 'home' either - I love going back to see family and friends, and it's a great place to shop, but that's about it. I have a great love for California, which is where my extended family is from (and where most of the