Skip to main content

Alpha needs a man-friend

While I've been revelling in the sociable aspects of expat life and hanging out with my new girl posse, Alpha just isn't that bothered. He claims that he's made friends at work and doesn't want to go hang out in bars with a bunch of guys. He says he's at his happiest vegging out in front of the telly with me.

The perfect husband, right? Yeah, except then I watched the latest Paul Rudd movie I Love You Man and started to worry...

I'm sure most wives would give their eyeteeth for a homebody husband rather than some good-time guy who has to be forcibly dragged home from their favorite bar/ strip-joint/ pool hall - but I also worry that Alpha needs some man-friends over here in Dubai. Doesn't everyone need friends? There has to be a balance.

If I'm to be entirely honest, there is also the fact that I need to regain authority over the telly remote control so I can watch my Ugly Betty series box set without a backdrop of manly bitching. Plus there's the twice-monthly champagne-fuelled excursions with the rest of the Jumeriah Slags (as Alpha has sweetly named my new chums and I) - Alpha going out now and then for a beer would help me regain my moral high ground.

In short, Alpha needs some man-friends and I've decided that if he's not willing to get his ass into gear and find himself some, then I'm just going to have to do it for him.

Never one to waste time, I've set Alpha up on a man date tomorrow; he's all set to play golf with the husband of a friend of mine. Both men can hardly believe their good fortune - a Saturday afternoon off from daddy-duties with the full blessing of their wives... if only they knew of our secret agenda... if only they knew...

Comments

Anonymous said…
What a wise wife you are! Alpha doesn't know how lucky he is. Just don't tell him! Happy girl outings!

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

Environment

Being an expat, a favorite topic of conversation is 'where I/you want to go next?' or 'When do you plan to go home?' It's a good question. I'm not sure I want to stay in Dubai for ever, but I'm also not sure about how long I want to be here for or where else I would like to live. For almost the first time ever, I have no fixed plans apart from keeping my eyes and mind open to interesting opportunities. And as to going 'home', I have no idea where that is. Constantly moving around as a child left me with the feeling that 'home' is wherever I am right now, so in effect 'home' could be anywhere. The longest I've ever lived in one fixed place was 18 years in London, on and off, but that doesn't feel like 'home' either - I love going back to see family and friends, and it's a great place to shop, but that's about it. I have a great love for California, which is where my extended family is from (and where most of the