Skip to main content

Where's the silver lining gone?

So, there I was confidently predicting that I would be back on the blog last week, thinking once the press trip was underway I would be able to sneak five minutes or so to expound on the beauty and charm of the Sultanate of Oman, and feel smug about my good fortune.

Erm, WRONG. Since my nose was kept firmly to the grindstone from from around 7am until way past midnight I'm surprised I managed to find time to even go to the bathroom. Grabbing any other kind of time to myself would have been an outrageous luxury.

Anyway, Oman is beautiful and charming. I feel fortunate to be able to have experienced Muscat (albeit on a limited scale) and am already planning a holiday there for myself, Alpha and the rugrats.

Sadly, the client was less charming. I could go on but it would probably end with me being sued for libel, which would be unfortunate, so I'll button my lip (whilst working out how to exact the most humiliating and painful revenge).

Anyway, I'm back in London, suffering from what is hopefully 24 hour flu, feeling used and abused, and more than a little bit sorry for myself...

Comments

Anonymous said…
sorry to hear that your client was not ideal - its better to know sooner rather than later
Kate B. said…
Thank you Arabesque. I'm almost over the humiliation/ pain/ etc now, you'll be pleased to hear, but the good thing that came out of the experience was what I can confidently predict as the start of an obsession with Oman. It is a truly beautiful place populated by wonderful people - I can't wait until I get the chance to come back and explore the country properly.

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

A thought

Perhaps sometimes a gift can be delivered in the guise of a tragedy. It's just a matter of perception, after all. I suspect that the talent lies in looking beyond the surface to what lies beneath and beyond. And, of course, being able to make sense of it all and going on to apply that knowledge to building a productive way forward. Here's hoping.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

A friend recently emailed me to say that her big memory of her stay with us last year is that she had a great birthday, one of the few where she didn't 'act like a spoiled grumpy princess'. She tried to give me all the credit but as I explained to her, it was all down to having a fellow female organising the birthday fun rather than leaving it to her partner. Her email got me thinking about birthdays and how very different men and women are in their attitudes to celebrating special occasions. It also had me thinking about my birthday two years ago when I threw a major tantrum in the Carrefour car-park after being told that we were off to do the weekly shop, kids in tow, which was simply the final straw at the end of a very uninspiring day. In contrast, my birthday last year was rather lovely (a morning on my own in a spa with no mobile coverage, pure selfish bliss). This year - in a few short months, eek! - I'll be hitting the grand old age of 38. This will be my las...