Skip to main content

Facebook Conundrum

So I finally broke down and threw myself on to Facebook. With my usual follow-through this means I have a smattering of friends. I mean really, it's almost impossible to keep up with every digital demand in the world - right? How do we write a blog, do work that pays the bills, be a semi-fluent mama and then twitter around as well?

We don't.

But more to the point, I do not understand how you manage your online life, especially for the people who seem to have 359 Facebook friends. Do they invite them all to their house for the annual holiday party? What about some who are work friends and some who are friends through the mama-world? Does your editor want to know that your Rabbit has 104 degree fever? Does your friend want to know about the latest tech gizmo you may be writing about?

Guessing transparency means no more privacy, no more mystery, no more solitude. I'm wondering when the backlash will begin.

Comments

sweetpeabart said…
My facebook friend explosion happened because everybody from high school is on there now (I graduated 13 years ago). It's really like a big high school reunion, as good or bad as that may be.

The longer you're on facebook, the more you'll see that it really is like a 6 degrees of separation thing...and it can become addictive....the rush you feel from seeing someone's picture who you haven't seen in 10 years or more. wow! ;-)
Anonymous said…
Facebook can be a very good networking medium. Unfortunately, there are many very sad and lonely people out there who are desperate for public 'friends' and the need to be seen to be popular. Psychologists must be having a field day!

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

A thought

Perhaps sometimes a gift can be delivered in the guise of a tragedy. It's just a matter of perception, after all. I suspect that the talent lies in looking beyond the surface to what lies beneath and beyond. And, of course, being able to make sense of it all and going on to apply that knowledge to building a productive way forward. Here's hoping.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

A friend recently emailed me to say that her big memory of her stay with us last year is that she had a great birthday, one of the few where she didn't 'act like a spoiled grumpy princess'. She tried to give me all the credit but as I explained to her, it was all down to having a fellow female organising the birthday fun rather than leaving it to her partner. Her email got me thinking about birthdays and how very different men and women are in their attitudes to celebrating special occasions. It also had me thinking about my birthday two years ago when I threw a major tantrum in the Carrefour car-park after being told that we were off to do the weekly shop, kids in tow, which was simply the final straw at the end of a very uninspiring day. In contrast, my birthday last year was rather lovely (a morning on my own in a spa with no mobile coverage, pure selfish bliss). This year - in a few short months, eek! - I'll be hitting the grand old age of 38. This will be my las...