Skip to main content

One Less Cocktail Party Perhaps

I am not the best networker on the block. Probably because my idea of a perfect day involves sitting in the house reading or writing, or spending time with The Rabbit and The Prince. (yes, permission to gag here...)

But, realizing that the entire world is linkedin with all their twittering friends on facebook, I have decided it's time to connect virtually, at least, in hopes this may save me from at least one cocktail party where I have to stand around and answer the dreaded networking question:

"So. What are you working on now?"

(sewing a fairy costume, planning a child's Halloween party, contemplating a birthday drinks night, finding out teasers for True Blood, not filing pages to my screenwriting coach, baking apple muffins, making calls for an assignment about the dreaded R word..shh..recession..., punting on a manicure,)

So this morning, I have spent 3 - T*H*R*E*E - hours sending tweets, writing on walls, and linking in. Yes, I'm guessing exactly the same thing.....

Comments

dulwichmum said…
OHMYGOD! I cannot for the life of me work out this damn tweeting thing. Tell me please, what does it mean?
Manhattan Mama said…
Tweeting is basically a mini-blogging tool. You write what is a text message --= and send it out into the world, or to the people who follow you on Twitter. It's insane. That's what it is.

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

A thought

Perhaps sometimes a gift can be delivered in the guise of a tragedy. It's just a matter of perception, after all. I suspect that the talent lies in looking beyond the surface to what lies beneath and beyond. And, of course, being able to make sense of it all and going on to apply that knowledge to building a productive way forward. Here's hoping.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

A friend recently emailed me to say that her big memory of her stay with us last year is that she had a great birthday, one of the few where she didn't 'act like a spoiled grumpy princess'. She tried to give me all the credit but as I explained to her, it was all down to having a fellow female organising the birthday fun rather than leaving it to her partner. Her email got me thinking about birthdays and how very different men and women are in their attitudes to celebrating special occasions. It also had me thinking about my birthday two years ago when I threw a major tantrum in the Carrefour car-park after being told that we were off to do the weekly shop, kids in tow, which was simply the final straw at the end of a very uninspiring day. In contrast, my birthday last year was rather lovely (a morning on my own in a spa with no mobile coverage, pure selfish bliss). This year - in a few short months, eek! - I'll be hitting the grand old age of 38. This will be my las...