Skip to main content


My much loved grandma died on Saturday.

It still hasn't quite sunk in.

She died quite suddenly. On Friday she was diagnosed with liver cancer and given two months to live (selfishly I was pleased she had that long as it meant we would see her at Christmas and have the chance to say goodbye), then she had a fatal heart attack on Saturday night.

The rational side of me thinks of it as a blessing. Now she won't have to suffer the ravages of the final stages of cancer.

My grandfather won't have to witness his beautiful, gregarious wife shrink and shrivel before his eyes.

We will always have the memory of her as she was for so many years - always laughing, playing the fool to entertain her grandchildren, a plate of some kind of delicious food in her hand ready to press upon guests, fresh lipstick applied even to go to the grocery store. That is how I want to remember her.

But I also wanted the chance to hug her and kiss her powdery cheek one more time, and to tell her how much I love her. And that even though I hadn't seen her for five years I thought about her and my grandfather all the time.

I just wish I had made my trip to California earlier. Now it will always be three weeks too late. I wish I had called more often, written more often, sent more pictures of the kids. I wish that I hadn't been so preoccupied with my busy life. I wish I had made the trip this summer.

I hope she knows this. I really hope she knows this.


sarah said…
I am so sorry for your loss. Having lost all my grandparents, I know the pain and the long wish list that one writes when the pass.

I'm so sorry.
Manhattan Mama said…
Hey -- We love you and we're thinking of you. MM
Sweetpeabart said…
AAAAAAwwwwwwwwwww. She knows!! She does know!!! Don't feel guilty!!!

Prayers and blessings to you.
YLM said…
Thanks all, and sorry for my no-show for a while.

I'm off to California in the morning with Alpha and the girls to spend Christmas with my American family, but will try to post once we're there.

Happy holidays!

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...)Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

Recommended & the Mahiki dance-off

My GFs and I went to Mahiki last night, great fun as usual but made me feel a bit old; it seems that Thursday night is the playground of the just-past-pubescent. Oh well. Good tunes though, so whatever.In between taking over the dancefloor - the youngsters may have youth on their side but frankly that shrinks to insignificance in the face of two decades of clubbing experience - one of my GFs and I got into a conversation about why so many people are full of bull.It appears that many people we come across are content to live their lives in a superficial way, skimming the surface of what life has to offer and equating the ownership of stuff (cars, houses, boats, jewelry, designer clothes) with happiness. They converse in terms of status, strut their possessions as a measure of their own self-worth, take themselves far too seriously, are quick to judge others, easily annoyed, complain a lot about very little and their worries seem to far outweigh their joys. Personally, I think all that…


Following on from the realisation that my lungs are filthy and if I don't give up the smokes soon I face a life of wheezing at best, off I trotted to see the charming Dr T.

Dr T, who's charming by virtue of the fact that he's less jaded than the other doctors in the surgery (in other words, he treats patients as if they're human beings with a right to NHS services rather than annoying fraudsters trying to gain sympathy for imaginary illnesses) promptly put me on potentially habit-forming drugs to get me off the evil weed. Something doesn't feel quite right about this but since I'm so pathetically grateful to have a doctor who's willing to give me more than two seconds of his precious time, I have acquiesced to his demands.

Anyway, this wonder drug is called Champix and promises to have me merrily chucking my smokes in the bin in no time. Or it will if I can get past the possible side effects, the highlights being abnormal dreams, nausea, flatulence, snoring, …