Skip to main content

Blew It

Man,

Just one night in and I already blew it. We had a few people over tonight for my birthday, and I got the loveliest gifts: a gorgeous necklace, fabulous book (Daring Book for Girls), some lovely creams called (get ready: Grace) and a set of butterfly notecards. If there were ever some messages of kindness those were them.

And I was a stress ball all night.

We leave tomorrow morning at 7 am for a 5 hour car/plane/car trip for The Prince's grandmother's funeral. And return the next day.

I got edits at 5:30 pm tonight.

And I got angry at The Prince for coming home after people arrived. After I packed up The Rabbit and myself.

And I feel guilty -- all I was hoping for was a few people over for cake. I always feel strange about gifts. And then I always worry I am not appreciative enough.

I squeezed in one act of kindness: I volunteered to send an e-mail out for The Rabbit's class for the teacher as she wasn't feeling well. Someone else got the e-mail out before I did -- and the credit for the idea. But there you go. Does it count even if I feel pissed that I did the work and someone else got the cred? Probably not. But hey I'm trying.

So I'm about to pack snacks for our 14 hour trip tomorrow and Sunday. And then eat another 6000 calorie slice of cake. Because at least that's an act of kindness to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

A thought

Perhaps sometimes a gift can be delivered in the guise of a tragedy. It's just a matter of perception, after all. I suspect that the talent lies in looking beyond the surface to what lies beneath and beyond. And, of course, being able to make sense of it all and going on to apply that knowledge to building a productive way forward. Here's hoping.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

A friend recently emailed me to say that her big memory of her stay with us last year is that she had a great birthday, one of the few where she didn't 'act like a spoiled grumpy princess'. She tried to give me all the credit but as I explained to her, it was all down to having a fellow female organising the birthday fun rather than leaving it to her partner. Her email got me thinking about birthdays and how very different men and women are in their attitudes to celebrating special occasions. It also had me thinking about my birthday two years ago when I threw a major tantrum in the Carrefour car-park after being told that we were off to do the weekly shop, kids in tow, which was simply the final straw at the end of a very uninspiring day. In contrast, my birthday last year was rather lovely (a morning on my own in a spa with no mobile coverage, pure selfish bliss). This year - in a few short months, eek! - I'll be hitting the grand old age of 38. This will be my las...