Skip to main content

The Rabbit Shy, Not on Drugs

The Rabbit's shyness has morphed from cute when she was 2, to sightly irritating now that she's nearly 5. It can be very frustrating when she won't say good morning to friends, parents, even her teachers — and I have to bite my tongue to stop from pushing her. I remember too well feeling so shy as a child I didn't want to raise my hand in class to call attention to myself. Maybe I slipped some of that genetic code to her. And maybe it will take her 30+ years to learn that the world is not actually populated by wolves trying to trip you up. (Okay, 99% of the world.)

So this morning's Op-Ed in The New York Times on shyness in children and the urge to medicate it was fascinating to me. I never have once even considered having The Rabbit medicated — nor even thought what she was experiencing was anything other than, well, shyness, and therefore not even necessary to bring up with her doctor.

While there are children with serious illness who do need to be medicated, I worry about how much of our children's unique (if not occasionally frustrating) personalities are being "smoothed" away. Yes, I'd love if she'd bounce like Tigger to her friends in the morning and smile and chirp and lovely "Good Morning!" But then, she would be Rabbit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

A thought

Perhaps sometimes a gift can be delivered in the guise of a tragedy. It's just a matter of perception, after all. I suspect that the talent lies in looking beyond the surface to what lies beneath and beyond. And, of course, being able to make sense of it all and going on to apply that knowledge to building a productive way forward. Here's hoping.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

A friend recently emailed me to say that her big memory of her stay with us last year is that she had a great birthday, one of the few where she didn't 'act like a spoiled grumpy princess'. She tried to give me all the credit but as I explained to her, it was all down to having a fellow female organising the birthday fun rather than leaving it to her partner. Her email got me thinking about birthdays and how very different men and women are in their attitudes to celebrating special occasions. It also had me thinking about my birthday two years ago when I threw a major tantrum in the Carrefour car-park after being told that we were off to do the weekly shop, kids in tow, which was simply the final straw at the end of a very uninspiring day. In contrast, my birthday last year was rather lovely (a morning on my own in a spa with no mobile coverage, pure selfish bliss). This year - in a few short months, eek! - I'll be hitting the grand old age of 38. This will be my las...