Skip to main content

Babysitter Malfunction

This is my favorite excuse I use when I'm at home sneaking in an interview -- and the rabbit comes barging into my "office" (Bedroom) screaming that she's hungry, or needs to go "pee-pee" or whatever else a 3-year-old's needs might be at that particular nanosecond.

Usually when I have to do a work call while I'm home sans babysitter I tell the rabbit in advance. I explain in my calm, slow, please-understand-me-this-time voice that "mommy needs to go make a work phone call and I'll just be a 10 minutes ("No! Five!") okay five, and when I get out we can go down to the park for 20 minutes ("No! Five!") Well, actually sweetie, five is less than 20 but that's fine, but I need you to let mommy make her call. Okay?" ("No.") "Okay honey. So let's put on a few minutes of "Max and Ruby" and I'll be right out."

And if I am very lucky I can actually eek out a 20-minute interview and feel wildly thrilled with myself. Often within two minutes the rabbit has decided I have ignored her enough and that's that. Although, I have to admit she has grown more willing to let me have some work time -- okay, 20 minutes maybe a day. But still, being able to have some flexability is golden.

Strangely, I find that men are much more understanding of my explaining that today I am home because of a "babysitter malfunction." While women often meet my excuse with cold silence. Like today. With a source I desperately needed. With the rabbit wailing like I had thrown out her stuffed dog.

Happy Monday!

Comments

Bec said…
I kind of despise myself for teaching my younger two the "whisper game" - ie, when mummy is on the phone working from home, we play whispers.

Frequently malfunctions.

Still despise myself.

Yes, I also find the women less understanding than the men.
Manhattan Mama said…
I know what you mean -- can't say I love having to leave the rabbit in the livingroom to do a work call -- but sometimes what else are we to do? And what is it about women and men? Got to look that up in my secret mama handbook.....

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

A thought

Perhaps sometimes a gift can be delivered in the guise of a tragedy. It's just a matter of perception, after all. I suspect that the talent lies in looking beyond the surface to what lies beneath and beyond. And, of course, being able to make sense of it all and going on to apply that knowledge to building a productive way forward. Here's hoping.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

A friend recently emailed me to say that her big memory of her stay with us last year is that she had a great birthday, one of the few where she didn't 'act like a spoiled grumpy princess'. She tried to give me all the credit but as I explained to her, it was all down to having a fellow female organising the birthday fun rather than leaving it to her partner. Her email got me thinking about birthdays and how very different men and women are in their attitudes to celebrating special occasions. It also had me thinking about my birthday two years ago when I threw a major tantrum in the Carrefour car-park after being told that we were off to do the weekly shop, kids in tow, which was simply the final straw at the end of a very uninspiring day. In contrast, my birthday last year was rather lovely (a morning on my own in a spa with no mobile coverage, pure selfish bliss). This year - in a few short months, eek! - I'll be hitting the grand old age of 38. This will be my las...