Skip to main content

Summation

Wow. What a week. I'm not complaining (especially as I've renounced self-pity as part of my recent emotional spring clean) but I am quite amazed at how much I've managed to pack in.

This time last week I was in California saying goodbye to my family and about to set off in my asthmatic hire car for San Francisco airport (still kind of wish I'd upgraded to that oddly desirable super-flash Corvette). And yet it seems so, so much longer than five days since I set foot back in Dubai - time seems to have stretched this week, making me realize that the concept of time is very much subject to perception...

Starting at University on my new postgraduate course, a serendipitous job offer that came totally out of the blue, being asked to act as the unofficial 'muse' for a new magazine set to launch in Dubai later in the year (more on this another time), finding a tenant for our house and starting the always-stressful hunt for a rental villa closer to the kid's school (so far unsuccessful, bah)... All this on top of the usual running-a-household stuff, the school run, the weekly homework trauma and trying to keep my unruly child-tribe from reverting to total savagery (an ongoing battle, often futile).

As someone famous once said, 'It's all about change, baby.' And change is something to be embraced, regardless of the inevitable trepidation that comes with it, because it's usually the prelude to something better... however long it takes to emerge. I'm hanging on to that.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Change...the prelude to something better... or ...the prelude to something different? Sounds like your life is full to overflowing. Make sure it's not more of the same! Good Luck!
Hey, welcome back! Good to find you blogging again!

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

A thought

Perhaps sometimes a gift can be delivered in the guise of a tragedy. It's just a matter of perception, after all. I suspect that the talent lies in looking beyond the surface to what lies beneath and beyond. And, of course, being able to make sense of it all and going on to apply that knowledge to building a productive way forward. Here's hoping.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

A friend recently emailed me to say that her big memory of her stay with us last year is that she had a great birthday, one of the few where she didn't 'act like a spoiled grumpy princess'. She tried to give me all the credit but as I explained to her, it was all down to having a fellow female organising the birthday fun rather than leaving it to her partner. Her email got me thinking about birthdays and how very different men and women are in their attitudes to celebrating special occasions. It also had me thinking about my birthday two years ago when I threw a major tantrum in the Carrefour car-park after being told that we were off to do the weekly shop, kids in tow, which was simply the final straw at the end of a very uninspiring day. In contrast, my birthday last year was rather lovely (a morning on my own in a spa with no mobile coverage, pure selfish bliss). This year - in a few short months, eek! - I'll be hitting the grand old age of 38. This will be my las...