Skip to main content

Oof

So far, this week is busier than I could have anticipated.
I had my first University lecture last night which I really enjoyed; the thrill of cranking up my rusty old brain again can't be underestimated. Was also very happy to see that my class is devoid of anyone displaying their rear ends or prone to puppy-like bouncing - most of my fellow postgrads are almost as ancient as I am, and a few even older. Phew. Slightly panicking about the large amount of reading I'm going to have to do though... Back on Wednesday night for a stats class, and a one-off workshop on Thursday night.
Today I'm meeting our new tenant who is due to move in at the end of the month; in the spirit of the modern age we are downsizing and also want to be closer to school - the Burbs commute is becoming a bit tiresome, what with my children's active social life and my role as Mommy Taxi.
Following that I'm off to view villas located closer to the girls' school as obviously we will need somewhere else to live - hopefully I'll find something cheap and gorgeous in a brilliant location which will be available in a couple of weeks (yeah, dream on Kate). Otherwise it will be a case of putting everything in storage and decamping to an apartment hotel until I find somewhere not too shabby and just about bearable.
On top of this, I've just been offered a temp proofreading job at a local trendy arts magazine.
Thankfully I'm still in the grip of jetlag, so sleeping a mere 3-4 hours a night will certainly give me enough hours in the day to get everything done that needs to be done...
I always did like to keep myself busy.

Comments

expatmammy said…
As long as you've time to squeeze in a wee drink with a certain expatmammy.xxxMwah.x
Manhattan Mama said…
so jelly you're back in school. Giving me thoughts...xo

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

A thought

Perhaps sometimes a gift can be delivered in the guise of a tragedy. It's just a matter of perception, after all. I suspect that the talent lies in looking beyond the surface to what lies beneath and beyond. And, of course, being able to make sense of it all and going on to apply that knowledge to building a productive way forward. Here's hoping.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

A friend recently emailed me to say that her big memory of her stay with us last year is that she had a great birthday, one of the few where she didn't 'act like a spoiled grumpy princess'. She tried to give me all the credit but as I explained to her, it was all down to having a fellow female organising the birthday fun rather than leaving it to her partner. Her email got me thinking about birthdays and how very different men and women are in their attitudes to celebrating special occasions. It also had me thinking about my birthday two years ago when I threw a major tantrum in the Carrefour car-park after being told that we were off to do the weekly shop, kids in tow, which was simply the final straw at the end of a very uninspiring day. In contrast, my birthday last year was rather lovely (a morning on my own in a spa with no mobile coverage, pure selfish bliss). This year - in a few short months, eek! - I'll be hitting the grand old age of 38. This will be my las...