Skip to main content

Things I'd forgotten about toddlers

Now that BB has reached the grand old age of 13 months and a bit, she is most definitely no longer a baby. Due to the fact that Firstborn and the Small(er) One are now closer to the pre-teen stage than babyhood, I'd totally forgotten what toddlers do and how they behave.

Here's what BB has taught me in the past month:

1. If it's dirty or otherwise repulsive then a toddler will be drawn to it like a magnet. Toddlers enjoy sticking their chubby hands up drainpipes and down the toilet, eating objects found on the floor (flies appear to be especially interesting), licking windows, investigating the cat's dinner and similarly revolting pursuits.

2. Toddlers have scant regard for danger. Attempting to fling themselves into the deep end of the swimming pool, executing a full-force face plant on to any object that looks bouncy (air beds seem to be ideal), sticking their fingers in plug sockets, wildly shaking anything wobbly (standard lamps, side tables etc), chasing the cat and trying to climb into the dishwasher are all highly amusing games for a toddler. Being told "no" by an adult makes it all the more entertaining.

3. Toddlers have mercurial temperaments: they swing wildly from rage/ despair to sheer unadulterated joy in the blink of an eye. They also seem impervious to any pain suffered in pursuit of fun (as above) and seemingly able to shrug a tumble off with no more than a quizzical expression (BBs face plant in the mud yesterday being a prime example). But if thwarted when in pursuit of something they've set their heart on (i.e. a sharp knife, the fly swat, an expensive musical instrument), then they're likely to scream as if being tortured. This is also the case when their mean mothers change their nappies, dress them or wipe their faces. Bizarre.

4. Toddlers are not especially keen on the sort of toys their mothers think they should play with. Cardboard boxes, newspapers, handbags, cupboards and cigarette packets are far more interesting than anything educational, age appropriate, safe and/or cute-looking. Anything owned by an older sibling and likely to be a choking hazard is also fascinating.

5. Toddlers really love their mummies. Love is usually demonstrated by clinging to your legs like a limpet whilst bellowing to be picked up, biting you (accompanied by a delighted grin), sticking a finger up your nose or following you around like a small shadow until something more interesting distracts them.

6. Toddlers are social animals. Staying at home is dull, dull, dull but going out, even if it's just to the supermarket, is highly exciting. Shouting gibberish at people to get attention, running away, shamelessly begging for food from strangers, dancing and knocking things off shop shelves are all brilliant fun. The best time BB had recently was when we went to the Fresno ArtHop; she thoroughly enjoyed having a baby bop to a drum 'n bass soundtrack in the local tattoo parlor whilst 'chatting' with a load of alternative arty types.

Toddlers are great levelers and they don't care what people look like, only if they might be amusing company. Which is precisely why they're so much fun to hang out with.

Comments

Anonymous said…
beaming like a Cheshire cat at your description of a toddlers antics; thank you
Anonymous said…
Toddlers! Teenagers surely!
Circles in the Sand said…
This really made me smile and reminded me to enjoy these times to the full, thank you! Been battling with my 2 yr old today, all a bit travel weary, so am so glad I stopped by your blog tonight! Have a good trip back to Dubai :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

Environment

Being an expat, a favorite topic of conversation is 'where I/you want to go next?' or 'When do you plan to go home?' It's a good question. I'm not sure I want to stay in Dubai for ever, but I'm also not sure about how long I want to be here for or where else I would like to live. For almost the first time ever, I have no fixed plans apart from keeping my eyes and mind open to interesting opportunities. And as to going 'home', I have no idea where that is. Constantly moving around as a child left me with the feeling that 'home' is wherever I am right now, so in effect 'home' could be anywhere. The longest I've ever lived in one fixed place was 18 years in London, on and off, but that doesn't feel like 'home' either - I love going back to see family and friends, and it's a great place to shop, but that's about it. I have a great love for California, which is where my extended family is from (and where most of the