Skip to main content

Holiday

We're off on holiday tomorrow to Italy. I've wanted to visit Pompeii for as long as I can remember, so kind of excited about that, not to mention the vast quantities of red wine I've been promised when we get to Puglia, our final destination. It's a bit of a family reunion since we're meeting up with Alpha's sister, her husband and their four kids, as well as my good friend The Harpenden Housewife, her husband and daughter.

Past experience tells me that when the cousins get together it's general chaos, rascally behaviour abounds and at some point all the kids will shed their clothes and smear themselves with mud (a la Lord of the Flies). I'm hoping they'll be happy to be chucked into the nearest olive grove with a stack of sandwiches and stern orders not to darken our door until the sun sets. Baby Belly excepted, of course.

The big problem though with this holiday is the amount of driving that has to be suffered through to get us from Rome to Pompeii and then on to Brindisi. Since I am ridiculously inept at reading a map and my sense of direction is legendary (and not in a good way), it's likely to be a crucial test of marital harmony.

What I am sure of is this:
  • At some point I will read the map upside down and send us in completely the wrong direction
  • Alpha will become tight-lipped, wild-eyed and start ranting about my general uselessness
  • I will cry
  • Alpha will accuse me of emotional blackmail 
  • Which will make me cry even more
  • Alpha will mutter darkly about the stupidity of his wife and how he wishes he were gay
  • The kids will then decide this to be the perfect time to hit/bite/insult each other and complain about being bored
  • Baby Belly will do an enormous poo; the nappies and wipes will of course be at the bottom of the pile of luggage, meaning I'll have to unpack the entire contents of the boot by which time the offending poo will have leaked everywhere and Belly will have to be washed and her clothes changed
  • Alpha will have a gigantic tantrum
  • I will immediately want to go home and regret ever suggesting a stupid holiday to stupid Italy with my stupid husband, then I will sulk for the rest of the day or at the very least until I am given a restorative glass of red wine and Alpha starts to smile again  
Happy holidays!

Comments

Unknown said…
It can only be better than you imagine - you do make me laugh though. Bonnes vacances!
Plastic paddy said…
Enjoy the red, sounds like you'll be needing it!
Anonymous said…
Learn to read maps! It's EASY!
Anonymous said…
WOW! My idea of hell. A trip to Italy to see the sites sounds romantic. You get kids, nappies AND relatives thrown in! On the bright side, those Italian men are terrible flirts and might lift your battered morale. Just don't let the 'stupid husband' see what your'e up to!

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

Environment

Being an expat, a favorite topic of conversation is 'where I/you want to go next?' or 'When do you plan to go home?' It's a good question. I'm not sure I want to stay in Dubai for ever, but I'm also not sure about how long I want to be here for or where else I would like to live. For almost the first time ever, I have no fixed plans apart from keeping my eyes and mind open to interesting opportunities. And as to going 'home', I have no idea where that is. Constantly moving around as a child left me with the feeling that 'home' is wherever I am right now, so in effect 'home' could be anywhere. The longest I've ever lived in one fixed place was 18 years in London, on and off, but that doesn't feel like 'home' either - I love going back to see family and friends, and it's a great place to shop, but that's about it. I have a great love for California, which is where my extended family is from (and where most of the