Skip to main content

Woe is moi

It seems that all those donuts I consumed while in California have come home to roost, not to mention those damn jelly babies. Gah.

A routine visit to my baby doc yesterday resulted in a severe reprimand from the lovely Doctor R for truly excessive weight gain (4k in a month, eek - a mistake, surely?), advice on how to de-puff my poor much-maligned limbs and a glucose test. Turns out my glucose levels are ready for take off so I now have to avoid sugar (sob, the only vice I have left) and complex carbs (ditto yummy crunchy bread and lovely pasta). So, when you add this in to all the pregnancy no-no's, it ends up that I can't eat effing anything except piles of veggies, a bit of fruit (excluding anything with a high GL) and mounds of well-cooked protein.

However, should probably stop viewing this latest turn up for the books as yet another of life's little attempts to piss on my bonfire and do some research as not entirely sure what it all means except that it's making the baby grow faster than is desirable (apparently this is Not A Good Thing). Plus it puts me one step closer to diabetes which obviously has nasty long-term health implications. So yes, I shall be taking it seriously.

Oh well. Off to France tomorrow to celebrate Alpha's big 40 over the course of a could-have-been debauched long weekend. I'll be the one in the corner working on my cross-stitch, knocking back a no-sugar herbal tea and nibbling on a celery stick while trying not to dribble pathetically at the sight of other non-pregnant, non-crazy-glucosed people get stuck into the vats of wine and a banquet table piled high with rare meat, smelly cheese, metres of baguette and delicious sugar-sprinkled patisserie...

Sigh.

Repeat after me: only 9 weeks to go... 9 weeks to go... 9 weeks to go... 9 weeks to go... 9 weeks to go... 9 weeks to go... 9 weeks to go... 9 weeks to go... 9 weeks to go... 9 weeks to go... 9 weeks to go... 9 weeks to go...9 weeks to go... 9 weeks to go... 9 weeks to go... 9 weeks to go... 9 weeks to go...

Comments

Edie Mindell said…
Hi. I understand how you feel about watching-what-you-eat during pregnancy. It must be hard since, for sure, you love to nibble on sweets. But, do listen to your doctor's advice for you to have a healthy pregnancy and to avoid any health complications for both you and the baby. Good luck for those 9 weeks to go. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

A thought

Perhaps sometimes a gift can be delivered in the guise of a tragedy. It's just a matter of perception, after all. I suspect that the talent lies in looking beyond the surface to what lies beneath and beyond. And, of course, being able to make sense of it all and going on to apply that knowledge to building a productive way forward. Here's hoping.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

A friend recently emailed me to say that her big memory of her stay with us last year is that she had a great birthday, one of the few where she didn't 'act like a spoiled grumpy princess'. She tried to give me all the credit but as I explained to her, it was all down to having a fellow female organising the birthday fun rather than leaving it to her partner. Her email got me thinking about birthdays and how very different men and women are in their attitudes to celebrating special occasions. It also had me thinking about my birthday two years ago when I threw a major tantrum in the Carrefour car-park after being told that we were off to do the weekly shop, kids in tow, which was simply the final straw at the end of a very uninspiring day. In contrast, my birthday last year was rather lovely (a morning on my own in a spa with no mobile coverage, pure selfish bliss). This year - in a few short months, eek! - I'll be hitting the grand old age of 38. This will be my las...