Skip to main content

Cheap thrills

My own personal favorites, some cheaper than others but all exciting in their own small way:

1) A sudden surprise cuddle and declaration of love from my husband and/or daughters
2) Putting the i-Pod on shuffle and rediscovering a brilliant once loved but long forgotten song
3) Running into a good friend while out doing chores and going naughtily 'off-schedule' for a spontaneous coffee or lunch
4) Finding the perfect pair of trousers at a knockdown price in the sales, then getting to the till and discovering they've been marked down by a further 20%.... ahhhh
5) A packet of Walker's Cheese & Onion crisps, consumed in solitary silence
6) Discovering a love note from one of the kids left on my pillow, peppered with amusingly creative spelling and crafted with childish passion
7) During the annual wardrobe cull, trying on an old dress which turns out to fit perfectly and is just right for an upcoming big event
8) Getting to a new pack of Basset's jelly babies first and scoffing all the pink and green ones before anyone else can get a look in. Hurrah!
9) Watching the hummingbirds dart around our garden
10) A quiet night in with Alpha and a really decent new box set (current addiction: The Unit)

Ahhh. Life is good.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Lose the crisps - hate cheese and onion! Love the rest.

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

A thought

Perhaps sometimes a gift can be delivered in the guise of a tragedy. It's just a matter of perception, after all. I suspect that the talent lies in looking beyond the surface to what lies beneath and beyond. And, of course, being able to make sense of it all and going on to apply that knowledge to building a productive way forward. Here's hoping.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

A friend recently emailed me to say that her big memory of her stay with us last year is that she had a great birthday, one of the few where she didn't 'act like a spoiled grumpy princess'. She tried to give me all the credit but as I explained to her, it was all down to having a fellow female organising the birthday fun rather than leaving it to her partner. Her email got me thinking about birthdays and how very different men and women are in their attitudes to celebrating special occasions. It also had me thinking about my birthday two years ago when I threw a major tantrum in the Carrefour car-park after being told that we were off to do the weekly shop, kids in tow, which was simply the final straw at the end of a very uninspiring day. In contrast, my birthday last year was rather lovely (a morning on my own in a spa with no mobile coverage, pure selfish bliss). This year - in a few short months, eek! - I'll be hitting the grand old age of 38. This will be my las...