Skip to main content

The tooth fairy is rumbled

The Small(er) One is close to losing her two front teeth and is terrifically excited at the prospect of crossing this latest Big Girl threshold. Firstborn, delighted she can parade her prior expertise in the tooth losing arena, has been dispensing knowledge at every available opportunity with the occasional scare story thrown in for good measure ("It only bleeds really badly for a little while, don't worry").

Yesterday Firstborn drew me to one side with a very serious expression on her face.
"Mummy," she said. "I am in two minds about something."
I raised my eyebrows: "Two minds? Really? About what?"
"Well," she sighed dramatically. "I think I should be telling the truth about the tooth fairy."
"The truth? Er, what do you mean?" I stuttered.
"Well, Mummy, I know." She paused, "I know that the tooth fairy isn't real."
"Rubbish!" I exclaimed, "Who told you such a terrible thing?" I looked around wildly, possibly to identify the perpetrator of this outrageous truth-telling or perhaps to identify the nearest escape route.
"Mummy!" Firstborn grinned at me, looking very pleased with herself. "You don't need to pretend. I know."
"And what do you base this erm knowledge on?" I asked.
"Oh Mummy, you're so silly. I know that the Tooth Fairy is YOU!" The grin took up most of her delighted little face.
"Nonsense!" I spluttered.
"I found the little box with all my baby teeth in it!" Firstborn looked fit to burst, so happy was she in having blown the lid off the whole adult con. "Why would you have them if the Tooth Fairy is real? She would have taken them off to fairy land! So it HAS to be you!"

Dammit. Rumbled. By 7-year-old logic, no less. But we had to come to an agreement in order to preserve the excitement for the Small(er) One - so the deal is that Firstborn keeps schtum and lets the legend of the Tooth Fairy live on and I generously allow her keep all the money she's made out of the Tooth Fairy over the years.

We shook on it with an overall feeling of satisfaction, but for me there is a lurking nugget of sadness - because what comes next? Father Christmas is a big fat commercial pile of twaddle? Babies don't come out of tummy buttons? Mummy, I'm an athiest? I guess I've got to face up to the fact that my little girl is already halfway to Grown Up.

Sob.

Comments

sweetpeabart said…
HA! Sounds like our house. Our 6-year-old daughter informed us that her cousin, of the same age, told her that her parents have all her teeth.

We change the subject.

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

Environment

Being an expat, a favorite topic of conversation is 'where I/you want to go next?' or 'When do you plan to go home?' It's a good question. I'm not sure I want to stay in Dubai for ever, but I'm also not sure about how long I want to be here for or where else I would like to live. For almost the first time ever, I have no fixed plans apart from keeping my eyes and mind open to interesting opportunities. And as to going 'home', I have no idea where that is. Constantly moving around as a child left me with the feeling that 'home' is wherever I am right now, so in effect 'home' could be anywhere. The longest I've ever lived in one fixed place was 18 years in London, on and off, but that doesn't feel like 'home' either - I love going back to see family and friends, and it's a great place to shop, but that's about it. I have a great love for California, which is where my extended family is from (and where most of the