Skip to main content

Home-alone Mama makes some mid-year resolutions

Now I have these huge swathes of time available to me in between the school runs, here's what I plan to do:

1. Blog more often (er, yes, I know this is a promise I make on a regular basis, but now I have no excuse not to)
2. Learn Arabic (as predicted, the teach-yourself-Arabic book that I bought before Christmas is still in it's wrapper, untouched...)
3. Meet hordes of intelligent, funny, independent and hopefully sarcastic women and persuade them to hang out with me... I need some girlfriends this side of the world or I'm going to have to start talking to the cat
4. Do some exercise (ugh... but starting to become necessary as it's all heading south; got to face up to the fact that youth is no longer on my side)
5. Start to paint again. I unearthed my old art folder recently and some of it was fairly decent, need to get back in the flow
6. Do all the boring things, like sorting out all the stuff that has been sitting in Everest-like piles waiting to be filed away and organised
7. Pluck my eyebrows, get a wax, do something about my hobbit feet, get a facial to try and smooth out some of the crinkles, get rid of my greys (does anyone else have silver eyebrow hairs, or is it just me??) - yes, I need to get into the whole grooming thing. Like I said, youth is no longer on my side

Watch this space.

Comments

Cult Diva said…
As a matter of fact we have many of the same goals. I have not one, but two Arabic learning programs on CD and so far can say "Shwaya" with confidence. I have been blogging regularly. I used to pluck the silver brow hairs, but I started to look odd and unbalanced. As far as your goal for number seven, check back with me. I am starting a boot camp this summer called "No Bitch Left Behind" where we will work on prettifying ourselves and drinking heavily out on the back porch.
Kate B. said…
Salaam Diva,

Sign me up for Bitch boot camp, I'm all over it. Especially the drinking.

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

A thought

Perhaps sometimes a gift can be delivered in the guise of a tragedy. It's just a matter of perception, after all. I suspect that the talent lies in looking beyond the surface to what lies beneath and beyond. And, of course, being able to make sense of it all and going on to apply that knowledge to building a productive way forward. Here's hoping.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

A friend recently emailed me to say that her big memory of her stay with us last year is that she had a great birthday, one of the few where she didn't 'act like a spoiled grumpy princess'. She tried to give me all the credit but as I explained to her, it was all down to having a fellow female organising the birthday fun rather than leaving it to her partner. Her email got me thinking about birthdays and how very different men and women are in their attitudes to celebrating special occasions. It also had me thinking about my birthday two years ago when I threw a major tantrum in the Carrefour car-park after being told that we were off to do the weekly shop, kids in tow, which was simply the final straw at the end of a very uninspiring day. In contrast, my birthday last year was rather lovely (a morning on my own in a spa with no mobile coverage, pure selfish bliss). This year - in a few short months, eek! - I'll be hitting the grand old age of 38. This will be my las...