Skip to main content

hello again from Dubai

As always, I'm full of good intentions. I fully intended to blog from California but didn't take my laptop (me+2 kids+luggage= travel light) so was reliant upon my using my dad's laptop BUT he's distrustful of cookies so I couldn't use Blogger (he's a vintage 1970's computer boffin with security-fear issues). Sorry, y'all.

Anyway, Fresno was a blast (in a kind of low-key way) and it was great to hook up with my family. I could go on about it, and probably will another time, but for now I'll just say that seeing my kids enjoying the stuff I most enjoyed about Fresno when I was a kid (my doting aunts and uncles, hanging with my cousins, cuddling my Grandpa, digging up the garden and ready access to the overstock of fizzy drinks in the outside refridgerator) sparked a major trip down memory lane. Bitter-sweet.

We're back in Dubai now and sweet Alpha is happy again, despite the noise, mess and general chaos (the secret to a successful marriage: go on holiday without your husband at least once a year). The mosquitos are out in force (10 bites so far and counting), the rising humidity is giving me a 'fro and the Small(er) One has finally started school at the same place as Firstborn.

I am now a home-alone Mama, rattling about the house looking for something to do; think I might have to get me some hobbies. It's wierd - I've spent the past two months looking forward to having both kids in school and a bit of time to myself, and now I have it I don't know what to do with myself.

Guess some people are never satisfied.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

A thought

Perhaps sometimes a gift can be delivered in the guise of a tragedy. It's just a matter of perception, after all. I suspect that the talent lies in looking beyond the surface to what lies beneath and beyond. And, of course, being able to make sense of it all and going on to apply that knowledge to building a productive way forward. Here's hoping.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

A friend recently emailed me to say that her big memory of her stay with us last year is that she had a great birthday, one of the few where she didn't 'act like a spoiled grumpy princess'. She tried to give me all the credit but as I explained to her, it was all down to having a fellow female organising the birthday fun rather than leaving it to her partner. Her email got me thinking about birthdays and how very different men and women are in their attitudes to celebrating special occasions. It also had me thinking about my birthday two years ago when I threw a major tantrum in the Carrefour car-park after being told that we were off to do the weekly shop, kids in tow, which was simply the final straw at the end of a very uninspiring day. In contrast, my birthday last year was rather lovely (a morning on my own in a spa with no mobile coverage, pure selfish bliss). This year - in a few short months, eek! - I'll be hitting the grand old age of 38. This will be my las...