Skip to main content

Welcome to 2009

Thank the Lordy 2008 is over, what a rubbish year.

I always resolve to not make any New Year's resolutions but yet again the temptation is too strong.

Here goes....
  1. I will learn to say "no". My days as a total sap are over - instead I resolve to be outwardly selfish like everyone else rather than agree to do things I don't want to do, which invariably results in my spending the next week inwardly fuming and hating everyone involved
  2. I will have a facial/ pedicure/ other essential grooming thing at least once per month. Then there's no excuse for looking like a hag
  3. I will be nicer to Alpha and let him have a lie-in at least once a month (rather than once in a blue moon)
  4. I will get myself in training for next Christmas' Trivial Pursuit challenge from January onwards to avoid feeling like an ill-educated fool next year
  5. I will do the laundry on a regular basis rather than when the pile of fetid garments piled up in the corner gets so high I can't see the kitchen
  6. I will blog more often
  7. I will try to feel less guilty about things I have no control over
  8. I will make more of an effort to do homework with the kids
  9. I wil try to take up some form of exercise in a (possibly futile) attempt to delay the inevitable onset of the Dreaded Sag
  10. I will learn to speak Arabic

Happy New Year!!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Advice YLM CHILL!!! New Year/New Start/No Way. We are what we are. So don't say NO and have everyone hate you. Say One Wishes One Could Do More and look concerned. What a LOVELY person you are. Bless.

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

A thought

Perhaps sometimes a gift can be delivered in the guise of a tragedy. It's just a matter of perception, after all. I suspect that the talent lies in looking beyond the surface to what lies beneath and beyond. And, of course, being able to make sense of it all and going on to apply that knowledge to building a productive way forward. Here's hoping.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

A friend recently emailed me to say that her big memory of her stay with us last year is that she had a great birthday, one of the few where she didn't 'act like a spoiled grumpy princess'. She tried to give me all the credit but as I explained to her, it was all down to having a fellow female organising the birthday fun rather than leaving it to her partner. Her email got me thinking about birthdays and how very different men and women are in their attitudes to celebrating special occasions. It also had me thinking about my birthday two years ago when I threw a major tantrum in the Carrefour car-park after being told that we were off to do the weekly shop, kids in tow, which was simply the final straw at the end of a very uninspiring day. In contrast, my birthday last year was rather lovely (a morning on my own in a spa with no mobile coverage, pure selfish bliss). This year - in a few short months, eek! - I'll be hitting the grand old age of 38. This will be my las...