Skip to main content

I hate stickers

I HATE stickers. Sadly, Firstborn and the Small(er) One love them. They love them so much that they will sticker anything. Our house is plastered with stickers. We're knee deep in stickers. Walk across the carpet and you're guaranteed to get at least one stuck between your toes. Sit down and there'll be a sticker somewhere on the sofa. Stickers lurking on lampshades, skirting boards, bedsteads, mirrors, the i-pod. Stickers sneakily stuck on picture frames, toys, books and once, memorably, on the ceiling. But the worst is when the stickers are attached to me.

A few months ago I went in to a fairly important meeting. I had dressed the part, squeezing myself into the black suit that usually hibernates in my wardrobe, a shirt and heels. I think I even brushed my hair that day. All in all, I was feeling pretty damned hot and in a ball-breaking frame of mind. In I went to the meeting and indeed I was sizzling (in the professional sense). The only thing that irked me during the whole thing was the guy sitting opposite who kept staring at my tits. The nerve of this perv, checking out my modest bosoms whilst trying to hammer out a deal. Some men are simply revolting, I thought, stomping away from the meeting. Just can't keep their mind on the job in hand. Neanderthols at the mercy of their urges. Ugh.

It wasn't until I went to the loo an hour or so later that I realised just why this guy had been fascinated by my breasts. Sadly it wasn't due to the hypnotic powers of my pneumatic cleavage (cue sardonic laughter). No. The draw was due to the fact that I had two stickers stuck on my shirt exactly where my nipples would be, like cartoon-emblazoned stripper pasties. The left boob read 'Well done!', the right 'You're great!'. The culprit? Firstborn and her sneaky sleight of hand when giving me a goodbye hug that morning.

I've never lived that one down.

Comments

Jill said…
That made me laugh out loud. They couldn't just be Dora stickers or something, they had to be inspirational! How very appropriate for a business meeting!

My boy loves the stickers too, but I gave him a notebook to put them in and since I did that, I rarely have to de-stickerfy my furniture anymore. (That and the threat of no more stickers, ever, if you put one more sticker on my coffee table). The stickers between the toes, though, that's still a twice weekly phenomenom!
Teena Vallerine said…
Oh hee hee ha ha ho ho he ho hum hum ha ha hoo hee hee hee hee hee ha ha ho ho! um oh gosh, oh my how awful for you. you poor thing. Serious disciplinary sticker amnesty called for as punishment. he he he he haha - You kno Tesco do these excellent little sticker makers for a few pounds - you can turn anything sticky like magic........... thanks for the giggle! t.x
Kate B. said…
thanks cdj and kitschen pink (love the image btw). It was a trauma I have yet to recover from...

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

Environment

Being an expat, a favorite topic of conversation is 'where I/you want to go next?' or 'When do you plan to go home?' It's a good question. I'm not sure I want to stay in Dubai for ever, but I'm also not sure about how long I want to be here for or where else I would like to live. For almost the first time ever, I have no fixed plans apart from keeping my eyes and mind open to interesting opportunities. And as to going 'home', I have no idea where that is. Constantly moving around as a child left me with the feeling that 'home' is wherever I am right now, so in effect 'home' could be anywhere. The longest I've ever lived in one fixed place was 18 years in London, on and off, but that doesn't feel like 'home' either - I love going back to see family and friends, and it's a great place to shop, but that's about it. I have a great love for California, which is where my extended family is from (and where most of the