Skip to main content

Why do my children hoard useless things?

Today I attempted the dreary task of tidying up The Pink Pit (aka the kids' bedroom). This is what I found in Firstborn's desk:

  1. 14 taxi cards
  2. 3 empty packs of Smarties
  3. 6 crumpled tinfoil balls
  4. 7 rubber bands (the ones the postman thoughtfully leaves scattered on the floor in the communal entrace of our building)
  5. 23 random bits of torn up paper, one with "ur sillee" written on it
  6. 7 dried-up felt-tip pens
  7. The Autumn-Winter '07 Boden catalogue
  8. 3 random business cards (stolen from my purse, I suspect)
  9. My library card (given up as lost months ago, paid £5 for a new one)
  10. My gym locker combi-lock (ditto)
  11. 9 scrumpled up bits of tissue
  12. 8 sheets of used stickers
  13. 1 pink Hello Kitty sock
  14. 7 letters from school (none of which I'd seen before)
  15. £1.32 in small change
  16. Half a banana, slightly furry
  17. Living-etc magazine, May issue
  18. Alpha's 'DIY Doctor' manual (in pristine condition, ahem)
  19. 2 empty packs of Teddy Pom Pom crisps
  20. 1 old Council Tax bill
  21. 1 headless Barbie

Where does this strange hoarding instinct for rubbish come from? What's the appeal? Is it early onset slob-ism or full-blown kleptomania? Should I be concerned?

Pass me the Pinot, sweetie, this parenting lark is way too weighty for this particular slummy mummy.

Comments

Unknown said…
My 5-year-old has a draw in his bedside cabinet that is full to brimming with party bags tat.
He absolutely loves all those cheap plastic whistles, men with parachutes, rings, tattoos, badges and keyrings.
And if ever I try to throw any of it away, well, let's just say I have a battle on my hands.
Kate B. said…
Yes, what is the endless fascination with the tat that comes with those dratted party bags. The chocolate and tooth-rotting lollies I can understand, but the rest of the useless rubbish they pile in is beyond me.

The only solution is to offer a bribe of a more acceptable toy in return for the drawer full of junk - you could just do a stealthy sweep and then look innocent when your small darling demands to know where the tat is, but this can be a risky strategy.

Good luck!
I was about to say thank god I've found someone else with weird children, but then I read your comments.....no more tat, never fear, the frog is here.
www.froginthefield.co.uk.

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

Environment

Being an expat, a favorite topic of conversation is 'where I/you want to go next?' or 'When do you plan to go home?' It's a good question. I'm not sure I want to stay in Dubai for ever, but I'm also not sure about how long I want to be here for or where else I would like to live. For almost the first time ever, I have no fixed plans apart from keeping my eyes and mind open to interesting opportunities. And as to going 'home', I have no idea where that is. Constantly moving around as a child left me with the feeling that 'home' is wherever I am right now, so in effect 'home' could be anywhere. The longest I've ever lived in one fixed place was 18 years in London, on and off, but that doesn't feel like 'home' either - I love going back to see family and friends, and it's a great place to shop, but that's about it. I have a great love for California, which is where my extended family is from (and where most of the