Skip to main content

Obsession with Little Purses


While I think it's easy to infer my obsession with coin purses stems from my having a little daughter (with little purses of her own) this would be incorrect.

In fact, my need to have these small objects can be traced to my high-school years when I decided that carrying a purse was actually old-lady like, and if it couldn't be squeezed into a 2" x 3" piece of snappable fabric, I wasn't interested. (This has been corrected.)

And so I have collected many a tiny bag -- treasures made from reclaimed cashmere, thread-bare silk bags with needlepoint throughout, even a silk wallet I am told was carried during the Civil War in resplendent red and blue silk. Don't get me started on the mother-of-pearl Victorian calling card cases I think I hookwinked from a seller at the St. James's Church flea market when we lived in London.

And so this is why I am obsessed OBSESSED with this new little book that shows how I can actually MAKE one of these tiny treasures on my own.

Will I actually make this? I can only sigh and look at the topsy turvy pile on my desk that has collected a cobweb or two. But do I want it? OH YES.

From an economical standpoint, coin purses are the perfect accessory for these tight recession-like days. They are demure, not flashy, and carry just enough funds to buy an ice cream cone for a Rabbit and perhaps an afternoon libation for her mama.

Click and drool at will. After all, it's free.

Comments

Sugarmama said…
A little tip--you can find these books for WAY cheaper on Etsy. There are a few vendors actually in Japan selling them, and even by airmail they're a much more affordable little gift to yourself. I do love Purl, but I'll support them with my fabric buying habit rather than with my Japanese sewing book habit.
Manhattan Mama said…
Yes, so agree. Purl is way too expensive -- and after visiting them this weekend, have to add, a little on the snooty side. Gave The Rabbit the stink eye while we pick out a bit ($37 worth) of fabric. Even better spot for these books? There's a Japanese book shop near Bryant Park: Kinokuniya. They have an ocean of Japanese craft books at REAL prices. I. Love. Them.

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

Environment

Being an expat, a favorite topic of conversation is 'where I/you want to go next?' or 'When do you plan to go home?' It's a good question. I'm not sure I want to stay in Dubai for ever, but I'm also not sure about how long I want to be here for or where else I would like to live. For almost the first time ever, I have no fixed plans apart from keeping my eyes and mind open to interesting opportunities. And as to going 'home', I have no idea where that is. Constantly moving around as a child left me with the feeling that 'home' is wherever I am right now, so in effect 'home' could be anywhere. The longest I've ever lived in one fixed place was 18 years in London, on and off, but that doesn't feel like 'home' either - I love going back to see family and friends, and it's a great place to shop, but that's about it. I have a great love for California, which is where my extended family is from (and where most of the