Skip to main content

Day Two - MM's New York Vacation


In fairness to me, I had forgotten when I agreed to Tally week that The Rabbit was off from camp this week. And I had promised her a New York vacation. The rules are very simple -- we must not do anything we have ever done before, and we must try and act silly like tourists.

It's already been great fun for Day One. But the problem is, of course, we are going to spend way more than a normal week's tally of a few cappuccinos and some ice creams from the Mr. Softee truck.

But again, perhaps this may give visitors an idea of what it almost does cost to come -- minus, of course, the hotel room!

So let's see. We started the morning by running to the post office to mail grandma (that would be my mother) her birthday present and buying a few 1 cent stamps. Postage recently went up and I am too stingy to toss the 41 cent stamps I have still. ($1.71).

Then today's adventure was to see the new Kit Kittridge movie (which needs its own post -- SO GOOD. Anyone with a 5+ year old daughter -- RUN. GO SEE THIS MOVIE. And I hate the American Girl chain. HATE IT. But loved this movie.). Caught the bus ($2.00, Rabbit free) and then grabbed a quick lunch before the flick -- sandwich, soup, bottled water ($12.86). Then picked up tickets bought on Fandango.com (Attention Fandango CEO: You have VERY RUDE customer service people...$23.50, yes for one adult & one child.) Snacks? A necessity. One box Skittles, one small bag popcorn. ($9.50).

After the movie we decided to wander home. Walk streets we didn't know very well. Stop and check out gardens. Unusual doorways. Spotted a Weeping Willow tree. In Manhattan. In the East Village. Super cool. (Free!) But after 35 minutes, one five-year-old had grown grumpy, hot and needed a snack. We ducked into a favorite cafe which we HAD gone to before, but we love. Cappuccino, glass of milk, chocolate croissant and bread for dinner. ($13)

And then we tucked into some books when we came home, stopped at the neighbors for a cupcake (free for us!), some tortellini from fridge, and off to sleep.

Damage? $62.57
Damage from 2 days? $195.50.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

Environment

Being an expat, a favorite topic of conversation is 'where I/you want to go next?' or 'When do you plan to go home?' It's a good question. I'm not sure I want to stay in Dubai for ever, but I'm also not sure about how long I want to be here for or where else I would like to live. For almost the first time ever, I have no fixed plans apart from keeping my eyes and mind open to interesting opportunities. And as to going 'home', I have no idea where that is. Constantly moving around as a child left me with the feeling that 'home' is wherever I am right now, so in effect 'home' could be anywhere. The longest I've ever lived in one fixed place was 18 years in London, on and off, but that doesn't feel like 'home' either - I love going back to see family and friends, and it's a great place to shop, but that's about it. I have a great love for California, which is where my extended family is from (and where most of the