Skip to main content

DAY THREE of the credit crunch blog experiment

God. Starting to hate the way this experiment is making me feel super-conscious about my spending. Starting to think that maybe ignorance is bliss.

If you're new to this blog, here's why we're embarking on this crazy fool thing.

OK, here goes. Kicked the day off with a Frappucino at Starbucks (I don't like regular coffee, OK? And I NEED something to give me a boot up the ass in the morning). Then got in a round of Diet Cokes for the girls at the office as a mid-morning pick-me-up (ditto above). Just to prove that there is such a thing as a free lunch, I was taken out by a friend for sushi to celebrate my soon-to-be freedom from office-based work (hence the worry about poverty, soon to be a daily reality... yawn).

A quick trip to Gap to take back a gift that didn't fit turned into a frenzy of bargain-hunting excitement in the kid's section; got a gorgeous floaty dress for Firstborn for £2.99 - LOVE love love the summer sales - but then blew it by purchasing other adorable kiddy stuff as well. Still, a total of just under £14 isn't bad for the dress, a t-shirt, cardigan and a multi-pack of socks, is it? (See how convincing I am when trying to justify the spending of money... sigh)

Then I took the tube home, ate a boiled egg for dinner with yesterday's Flake candy bar for dessert (Alpha wasn't home for chef duties and, scummy mummy that I am, couldn't be bothered to make anything 'proper') and now am about to go to bed before any more spending opportunities present themselves.

Today's grand total? A mere £19.67 (bearing in mind my bulging Gap bag of goodies...I'm feeling pretty good)

Comments

Anonymous said…
YLM - leave your credit card at home. You are a spendthrift.

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

Environment

Being an expat, a favorite topic of conversation is 'where I/you want to go next?' or 'When do you plan to go home?' It's a good question. I'm not sure I want to stay in Dubai for ever, but I'm also not sure about how long I want to be here for or where else I would like to live. For almost the first time ever, I have no fixed plans apart from keeping my eyes and mind open to interesting opportunities. And as to going 'home', I have no idea where that is. Constantly moving around as a child left me with the feeling that 'home' is wherever I am right now, so in effect 'home' could be anywhere. The longest I've ever lived in one fixed place was 18 years in London, on and off, but that doesn't feel like 'home' either - I love going back to see family and friends, and it's a great place to shop, but that's about it. I have a great love for California, which is where my extended family is from (and where most of the