Skip to main content

Day 4: Where MM Tightens the Reigns

So today was New York Vacation Day 3/Credit Crunch Day 4.

Finally, today, I spent a realistic amount -- and even had some candy thrown in.

On our Third day of vacation, The Rabbit and I invited her great-aunt to join us at the Liberty Science Center. Despite it being fun to have her there, this was also a smart move as she has a car -- and could DRIVE us to our destination. (No subway, bus...)

Auntie paid for the parking (another savings), a kindness The Rabbit and I returned by paying for her admission to the center. One adult, one child, one teacher (she's a professor): $32.25.

Within 30 minutes of arriving I started to have that insane food attack. I had to eat. We made our way to the lunch counter where lunch was treated upon us. Lovely, and very kind. (and helped with our weekly tally!)

We stayed hours today. It's a fantastic place, and while not an easy spot to get for tourists (It's off the Turnpike, in New Jersey. Not exactly a subway ride away), I highly recommend it. Of course a visit to the gift shop was required on the way out. The Rabbit inspected each and every toy in the cavernous spot, at one point considering a $100 collapsible ball. (Yes, a No would have been delivered if she had set on it.) Finally, the prize: a bubble-blower. My sensible girl. Mama threw in some candy and $8.15 later we were done for the day.

Total for the day: $40.40
Total for the week: $318.46

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

A thought

Perhaps sometimes a gift can be delivered in the guise of a tragedy. It's just a matter of perception, after all. I suspect that the talent lies in looking beyond the surface to what lies beneath and beyond. And, of course, being able to make sense of it all and going on to apply that knowledge to building a productive way forward. Here's hoping.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

A friend recently emailed me to say that her big memory of her stay with us last year is that she had a great birthday, one of the few where she didn't 'act like a spoiled grumpy princess'. She tried to give me all the credit but as I explained to her, it was all down to having a fellow female organising the birthday fun rather than leaving it to her partner. Her email got me thinking about birthdays and how very different men and women are in their attitudes to celebrating special occasions. It also had me thinking about my birthday two years ago when I threw a major tantrum in the Carrefour car-park after being told that we were off to do the weekly shop, kids in tow, which was simply the final straw at the end of a very uninspiring day. In contrast, my birthday last year was rather lovely (a morning on my own in a spa with no mobile coverage, pure selfish bliss). This year - in a few short months, eek! - I'll be hitting the grand old age of 38. This will be my las...