Skip to main content

Confessions of a HSM convert...

Cringe. I can't believe I'm telling you this...

OK. Loud and proud. (gulp). My name is YLM and I Am A Secret Fan of High School Musical. (blush)

Yes, it's shameful. Especially as I have been going around heaping scorn on this pre-tweeny craze. I have, I admit, acted like a S'Mother, sneering silently at parents who allow their precious angels to have contact with this new Scourge of the Nation. And, ultra shame on me, this was all without watching the offending film or even knowing much about it except that it's about kids in high school (cleverly deduced from the title) and reading something about how the star of the film, Gabrielle or something, is also the star of another less well-known movie available exclusively online...

Anyway, Firstborn was gifted with the offending film for her birthday recently and after much pestering, I agreed to curl up on the sofa with the nippers and watch it.

I loved it.

It's naff. It's cheesy. The lyrics and the dance routines are brilliantly terrible (especially the bit where a tortured Troy dances around the basketball court trying to rap... hilarious). Troy looks like he's about to do a poo when he hits the high notes. Gabrielle only has two facial expressions - sad-eyed Bambi or gurning grin. The baddies are high-camp slapstick. The whole thing is so thigh-slapping funny I was chuckling well after the credits had rolled. In short, a laugh-a-minute darned fine movie.

High School Musical - I salute you!

(Does anyone know where I can find an adult sized version of the High School Musical cheerleader dress-up costume? Too fabulous.)

Comments

Unknown said…
Do you think it's the equivalant of the mother's forced to watch Grease or Dirty Dancing back in the day!
Kate B. said…
I think it must be! No snogging, teen pregnancy or smoking in High School Musical though... thank goodness, can't cope with the birds and the bees conversation just yet...!
Anonymous said…
I too, love HSM. However, a principal friend of mine was blasted by a parent for showing it at an indoor recess because it was "fraught with sexual innuendo"!
Kate B. said…
Hi akz... sexual innuendo?? That parent is obviously possessed of an extremely mucky brain.

There may be a few hot and heavy looks and an alomost-kiss, but that's the extent of it. And frankly, I don't think kids notice it anyway - mine are focused on the singing, dancing and the blonde chick's glittery pink skirt. You read into it whatever you want to.

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

A thought

Perhaps sometimes a gift can be delivered in the guise of a tragedy. It's just a matter of perception, after all. I suspect that the talent lies in looking beyond the surface to what lies beneath and beyond. And, of course, being able to make sense of it all and going on to apply that knowledge to building a productive way forward. Here's hoping.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

A friend recently emailed me to say that her big memory of her stay with us last year is that she had a great birthday, one of the few where she didn't 'act like a spoiled grumpy princess'. She tried to give me all the credit but as I explained to her, it was all down to having a fellow female organising the birthday fun rather than leaving it to her partner. Her email got me thinking about birthdays and how very different men and women are in their attitudes to celebrating special occasions. It also had me thinking about my birthday two years ago when I threw a major tantrum in the Carrefour car-park after being told that we were off to do the weekly shop, kids in tow, which was simply the final straw at the end of a very uninspiring day. In contrast, my birthday last year was rather lovely (a morning on my own in a spa with no mobile coverage, pure selfish bliss). This year - in a few short months, eek! - I'll be hitting the grand old age of 38. This will be my las...