Skip to main content

The stench of treachery

This week was a lesson in humiliation. I now know never to underestimate the desire some people have to gain the political upper hand, even if it means making a patsy of someone who has worked their butt off for them for over two years. Yup, that patsy was me.

I won't go into too much detail, suffice it to say that I delivered a blinding presentation at a conference last week and was then promptly savaged by an unhappy (and highly influential) meanie in the audience. The Turncoat just sat there, pretending that he had nothing to do with it, despite having approved all the content and complimenting me on it the day before. Worse still, he then continued this pretence throughout the remainder of the conference, directing snide comments at me during meetings and avoiding being seen with me during the networking sessions.

And after this unpleasant event, did The Turncoat try to make amends? Did he buggery. What he did was turn to me and say, "Well, you didn't handle that very well, did you?"

It was a wince-inducing flashback to Year Five when my friends stopped speaking to me because Jane, the hardest girl in the school, called me 'square' for wearing Start-Rite black patent t-bar shoes. I was left to pick miserably at my packed lunch in the corner of the playground, salty tears dripping down on to my ham-and-salad sandwich, while the rest of the girls shared their crisps on the gym steps. It lasted a whole week, a long time when you're nine years old.

I guess I was naive to think seasoned businessmen should be past the bitchy tween stage by the time they near retirement. Guess I was wrong.

My inner child may be shouting "Not fair! Not fair!", but my inner bitch is snarling, "You just wait, you nasty little shit... one day, sweet revenge will be mine..."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

Environment

Being an expat, a favorite topic of conversation is 'where I/you want to go next?' or 'When do you plan to go home?' It's a good question. I'm not sure I want to stay in Dubai for ever, but I'm also not sure about how long I want to be here for or where else I would like to live. For almost the first time ever, I have no fixed plans apart from keeping my eyes and mind open to interesting opportunities. And as to going 'home', I have no idea where that is. Constantly moving around as a child left me with the feeling that 'home' is wherever I am right now, so in effect 'home' could be anywhere. The longest I've ever lived in one fixed place was 18 years in London, on and off, but that doesn't feel like 'home' either - I love going back to see family and friends, and it's a great place to shop, but that's about it. I have a great love for California, which is where my extended family is from (and where most of the