Skip to main content

Little Girl Trouble

Walking the Rabbit to school -- and for that matter, home -- has become an exercise in frustration for both of us.

It seems no matter what I say I end up with an angry, petulant situation -- and that's just me. The Rabbit fights me at every turn. Holding my hand on the way to school. Mad because I forgot to bring a bagel on our walk in the morning. (This is not her breakfast by the way. That would be the juice, cereal, banana and yogurt that sat out for 45 minutes while she ran around NOT eating breakfast.)

Then there are the snotty comments, "You're not the boss of me." (Right.) "I don't want to walk with you!" And the screams that erupt when I say, "Fine" and continue to walk ahead of her (we're talking 3 feet ahead of her.)

It's gotten so I don't want to take her nor pick her up anymore. And that I have to steel myself for these walks which I used to look forward SO much.

I crafted a career (believe it or not) long before I became a Mama so that I specifically could be home after school. I wanted to be there to hear the stories, laugh during snacks, even be banished from rooms when best friends were over and Mama wasn't cool. (Already happening, and I smile.)

But this -- this mysterious layer of frustration that seems to coat her like an oily sheen, that I can't hug away, wash away, kiss away. This I wasn't prepared for. At least I thought I'd have another 10 years before it did.

Who knew that 5-years-old was the new 15?

Comments

Sugarmama said…
This sounds exactly like my relationship with my almost 10-year old, and it's been like this for some time now. I have to prepare myself well in advance of her arrival home from school so that I won't get pissed off so easily, she won't hurt my feelings, I won't yell, etc. It is really hard, especially with that lovely, impossible little vision of mother-daughter bonding time after school to compare it to.

Not making you feel any better, I know, but just trying to say that I hear ya on this.
Kate B. said…
So with you, MM. Where did our sweet little girls go? x
Anonymous said…
could it be down to this - what goes around comes around?

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

Environment

Being an expat, a favorite topic of conversation is 'where I/you want to go next?' or 'When do you plan to go home?' It's a good question. I'm not sure I want to stay in Dubai for ever, but I'm also not sure about how long I want to be here for or where else I would like to live. For almost the first time ever, I have no fixed plans apart from keeping my eyes and mind open to interesting opportunities. And as to going 'home', I have no idea where that is. Constantly moving around as a child left me with the feeling that 'home' is wherever I am right now, so in effect 'home' could be anywhere. The longest I've ever lived in one fixed place was 18 years in London, on and off, but that doesn't feel like 'home' either - I love going back to see family and friends, and it's a great place to shop, but that's about it. I have a great love for California, which is where my extended family is from (and where most of the