Skip to main content

Exhaustion - Countdown 9 Days

Sorry to have disappeared during the Holiday melee.

This week was especially exhausting getting ready for Party 2: The Rabbit's 5th Birthday affectionately known as The Event.

We actually navigated The Event fairly well, thanks in no small part to a magician, an amazing magician called Magical Dave, who kept the 20 children focused and glued for 60 minutes. Also,a drop-off party didn't hurt. I love having parties with adults. But I have decided in the future that for The Rabbit's birthday this is the way to go.

I think you need to have a birthday for children....or for adults. And I think the two put together are...a Holiday Party, which is why we had that the weekend before. Truthfully, I think parents loved dropping their children off for 2 1/2 hours and having some time solo. I think in a way I performed a good deed -- some alone time during the holidays on the weekend? That spells massage, cappuccino and a nap all to me.

The Rabbit had a wonderful time. Her friends are truly wonderful. I mean that sincerely. I am sure there are horrific 5 year olds out there. There's not a bunch in her group of friends. Truly.

However....

Next year I'm handing her 5 big bills and sending her to American Girl. Alone. And I'm walking down the street and getting the massage at Elizabeth Arden. More likely we'll happily see me do a repeat of this year again. But I really need to remember to book the Sunday after as a solo day for Mama. Really. Me, a manicurist at my hands, a pedicurist at my feet, and a barista pouring soothing mochas all afternoon. Holiday Heaven.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

Environment

Being an expat, a favorite topic of conversation is 'where I/you want to go next?' or 'When do you plan to go home?' It's a good question. I'm not sure I want to stay in Dubai for ever, but I'm also not sure about how long I want to be here for or where else I would like to live. For almost the first time ever, I have no fixed plans apart from keeping my eyes and mind open to interesting opportunities. And as to going 'home', I have no idea where that is. Constantly moving around as a child left me with the feeling that 'home' is wherever I am right now, so in effect 'home' could be anywhere. The longest I've ever lived in one fixed place was 18 years in London, on and off, but that doesn't feel like 'home' either - I love going back to see family and friends, and it's a great place to shop, but that's about it. I have a great love for California, which is where my extended family is from (and where most of the