Skip to main content

My Yummy New Year Resolutions

1. I will learn to say "sorry" and mean it
2. I will get my ass out of bed in the morning without cursing and bitching
3. I will fold the laundry once it is dry rather than leaving it in a heap for a week
4. I will stop obsessing about my wrinkles; instead I will cleanse and moisturise properly, drink water instead of Diet Coke and learn to love the character my, um, 'laughter lines' give me
5. Ditto tummy flub; instead I will do sit-ups every morning, drink more water, hold myself upright instead of slumping and stop trying to pretend I am ever going to have the body of an eighteen-year-old again
6. I will stop flicking my cigarette butts into the garden (yeah, I know this should read 'I will ditch my unwholesome reliance on Marloboro Lights' but hey, one thing at a time)
7. I will make more of an effort with the other parents at Firstborn's school and I will stop trying to make Alpha go to all the kiddie parties on his own by pretending I have something essential to do elsewhere (i.e. haircut, shopping, lying on the sofa)
8. I will try to be more understanding regarding Firstborn and the Small(er) One's utter failure to grasp the concept of time - so what if we're late for everything?
9. I will read the kids a story every night, no matter how tired I am or how pressing the work deadline
10. I will learn to be grateful, to relax and absorb the many wonderful things in my life, rather than fixating on achieving the next goal. I have many blessings which deserve my full concentration right now.

Happy New Year!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm just impressed that you've gotten your man to go to ANY kiddie parties at all! Sure wish I could be allowed to skip out on a few to lay around on the sofa...
Anonymous said…
Why bother!
1. Never say "sorry" and mean it.
2. Curse away - never keep it in.
3. Why?
4. Single malt better.
5. Ditto
6. OK - messy.
7. If Alpha enjoys it, humour him.
8. So what indeed.
9. Get them to read to you while you try out 4.
10. Blessings never need full concentration. Just take them for granted.

Happy and Easy New Year!

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

Environment

Being an expat, a favorite topic of conversation is 'where I/you want to go next?' or 'When do you plan to go home?' It's a good question. I'm not sure I want to stay in Dubai for ever, but I'm also not sure about how long I want to be here for or where else I would like to live. For almost the first time ever, I have no fixed plans apart from keeping my eyes and mind open to interesting opportunities. And as to going 'home', I have no idea where that is. Constantly moving around as a child left me with the feeling that 'home' is wherever I am right now, so in effect 'home' could be anywhere. The longest I've ever lived in one fixed place was 18 years in London, on and off, but that doesn't feel like 'home' either - I love going back to see family and friends, and it's a great place to shop, but that's about it. I have a great love for California, which is where my extended family is from (and where most of the