Skip to main content

Mama Whimped Out

I know I planned on telling The Rabbit's teacher all about the infractions being splayed upon her. So I took her to school this morning and saw this in the classroom:

She walked in and began joyfully playing hopscotch on a rug with a little boy who she says has hit her and tells her he can't play with her.
The main girl bully was being coaxed out of a cubby and then sat sulking in a chair, refusing to take part in morning activities.
The second girl bully was tattling on some other boys to her teacher, whining that they said they were the boss.

Of course, yes, I know that it is these very acts of anti-social behavior that could be leading these creatures to go after my cheerful, smiling Rabbit. But I also realized that she seemed to be able to still walk into the classroom happy and cheerful -- despite the problems she's having. And that, frankly, she seemed more well adjusted than these other kids.

We also spent 20 minutes last night role-playing with her before she went to bed: The Prince and I were the bullies and The Rabbit had to, well, tell us off:

"Don't talk to me like that."
"Don't touch me."
"I am not a baby. And I don't want to play with you."

She loved it.

And as a capper, The Prince dug out his boxing gloves this morning. He's dusting off some old moves, and plans to teach The Rabbit a few neat, uh, tricks. Okay, okay. Don't rail at me. But just imagine this sweet scenario:

One swift punch in the nose at the next mini-vulture that hits her, calls her baby or otherwise terrorizes her and while she may land on the time-out bench for the day, she's probably home free through high school.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

Environment

Being an expat, a favorite topic of conversation is 'where I/you want to go next?' or 'When do you plan to go home?' It's a good question. I'm not sure I want to stay in Dubai for ever, but I'm also not sure about how long I want to be here for or where else I would like to live. For almost the first time ever, I have no fixed plans apart from keeping my eyes and mind open to interesting opportunities. And as to going 'home', I have no idea where that is. Constantly moving around as a child left me with the feeling that 'home' is wherever I am right now, so in effect 'home' could be anywhere. The longest I've ever lived in one fixed place was 18 years in London, on and off, but that doesn't feel like 'home' either - I love going back to see family and friends, and it's a great place to shop, but that's about it. I have a great love for California, which is where my extended family is from (and where most of the