Skip to main content

Top Ten Stupid Things People Say to Mamas

10. She looks JUST like your husband! I don't even see you in her. Huh. Nope.
9. So...have you talked about having another? How old are you now?
8. I came home from the hospital in my regular jeans. Just one of those lucky ones.
7. Want ta trade?
6. Children do better when their mothers relax a little.
5. I've always thought pink on girls was a cliche.
4. Really? She can't write her name/read/ride a bike yet?
3. Boy, she looks nothing like you. Guess you'll have to have a second one for you!
2. Did you ever think about holding her back a year?
1. Don't worry.

Comments

Sugarmama said…
Don't you just want to slap the hands of ANYONE who says #7 to you? Especially when your girl so clearly doesn't want to be anywhere but on you? Yeah.

And I think a perfectly suitable response to #8 is something like, "Oh my God! Your baby must've been so underweight! I hope s/he didn't have any health problems!"
Bec said…
I've had the reverse of number 10 many times, and often felt like saying: "Well, I sleep around a lot, it's hard to say who her real dad is."

But I haven't. Yet.
BlondeBrony said…
Love it. Thanks for the smile.

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

A thought

Perhaps sometimes a gift can be delivered in the guise of a tragedy. It's just a matter of perception, after all. I suspect that the talent lies in looking beyond the surface to what lies beneath and beyond. And, of course, being able to make sense of it all and going on to apply that knowledge to building a productive way forward. Here's hoping.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

A friend recently emailed me to say that her big memory of her stay with us last year is that she had a great birthday, one of the few where she didn't 'act like a spoiled grumpy princess'. She tried to give me all the credit but as I explained to her, it was all down to having a fellow female organising the birthday fun rather than leaving it to her partner. Her email got me thinking about birthdays and how very different men and women are in their attitudes to celebrating special occasions. It also had me thinking about my birthday two years ago when I threw a major tantrum in the Carrefour car-park after being told that we were off to do the weekly shop, kids in tow, which was simply the final straw at the end of a very uninspiring day. In contrast, my birthday last year was rather lovely (a morning on my own in a spa with no mobile coverage, pure selfish bliss). This year - in a few short months, eek! - I'll be hitting the grand old age of 38. This will be my las...