Skip to main content

Nag

**Disclaimer: This is not abut The Prince. Entirely...**

Nag.

One of the most hateful words. And why?

How easy it is to toss it at a woman and bear down on her the shameful -- or alleged shameful -- behavior of generations of women before. How many of us have been temporarily silenced by that word flung at us to keep us from saying something we need to say?

Okay, sure, maybe a double reminder to take out the trash, or take out a car seat, or submit expenses is unnecessary.

But what about driving slower when your rabbit is in the car? Or pick up a prescription before the pharmacy closes for the night?

And ask yourself -- have you ever been called a nag by another woman?

Picture a nag. Go ahead. Close your eyes. I see a broken-down horse that is exhausted and bullied. Not a creature that has any energy to even stick up for themselves.

I say we put an end to this nag-ing. I say leave the stinking trash in the can and go on kitchen strike until it's thrown out. or just pick up the prescription for yourself or pluck your rabbit from the car. Please.

And then the next time somone utters the word in your presence, neigh loudly like that broken-down horse. Enough of that, and it just might silence them.

Comments

Kate B. said…
MM - I tried the neigh and am happy to report it almost worked. Well, it raised a laugh if not an abject apology...
Manhattan Mama said…
I'm braying like a crazy woman over here...not very successful except for raised eyebrows and a query if I had consumed too much caffeine....
Anonymous said…
I am a son. I asked my mother if she's take me to the hospital because the food in my stomach hasn't digested since last night, and it's beginning to cause pain. My mother tells me that it's probably because i didn't get enough sleep. Dispite the fact that I ate last night at around 12-1 a.m., here it is 12:19, and foods still in my belly! This same thing happened to me yesterday at lunch. i could feel the food in my throat for about 6 hours. I told her that. She told me to go to bed earlier. if you ask me, mother's usually are nags.

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

Environment

Being an expat, a favorite topic of conversation is 'where I/you want to go next?' or 'When do you plan to go home?' It's a good question. I'm not sure I want to stay in Dubai for ever, but I'm also not sure about how long I want to be here for or where else I would like to live. For almost the first time ever, I have no fixed plans apart from keeping my eyes and mind open to interesting opportunities. And as to going 'home', I have no idea where that is. Constantly moving around as a child left me with the feeling that 'home' is wherever I am right now, so in effect 'home' could be anywhere. The longest I've ever lived in one fixed place was 18 years in London, on and off, but that doesn't feel like 'home' either - I love going back to see family and friends, and it's a great place to shop, but that's about it. I have a great love for California, which is where my extended family is from (and where most of the