Skip to main content

D/Hate Night

Over the past few weeks I've been booking our trusty babysitter for a few d/hate nights with The Prince. In the past, this hasn't gone over so well. The last "d/hate night" ended up as a foursome -- me and two of his buddies heading off to a Brooklyn birthday party and having a quick drink before we took the 45 minute cab ride home.

Granted I didn't handle myself so well (Hiding my anger isn't one of my best skills), but I couldn't understand how a night planned for dinner and drinks solo ended up as a group activity. At one point I even took a separate subway car from The Prince and his buddy and actually had a great chat with some baggy-jeaned teen playing 'Grand Theft Auto' on his PSP. He showed me how to play it, super nice guy -- very fun. That was about the most attention I got all night.

Last night I informed The Prince that I had a babysitter booked for Saturday night June 3 -- and that baring death of anyone in the IMMEDIATE family, we were going out. He paused and said, ''Absolutely. But remember, I still need to go visit my sister's new baby.'

They say that when anger comes over me it's kind of like that scene in Snow White when the witch turns into the evil hag, all bent and warped with warts and a pointed nose. My nose is small, my skin mostly blemish free. It's not that I want the Prince to snack off a red apple and end up asleep for a billion years. But if there was one that would seep some sense into his brain I'd be willing to find a chemistry kit and start playing.

Comments

Jill said…
I find that men like to move about in packs. It's the wolf in them. Try not to fret about it, he's probably no worse than the rest of them.
KPB said…
He needs a smackdown. And not in a good way.
That is all.

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

A thought

Perhaps sometimes a gift can be delivered in the guise of a tragedy. It's just a matter of perception, after all. I suspect that the talent lies in looking beyond the surface to what lies beneath and beyond. And, of course, being able to make sense of it all and going on to apply that knowledge to building a productive way forward. Here's hoping.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

A friend recently emailed me to say that her big memory of her stay with us last year is that she had a great birthday, one of the few where she didn't 'act like a spoiled grumpy princess'. She tried to give me all the credit but as I explained to her, it was all down to having a fellow female organising the birthday fun rather than leaving it to her partner. Her email got me thinking about birthdays and how very different men and women are in their attitudes to celebrating special occasions. It also had me thinking about my birthday two years ago when I threw a major tantrum in the Carrefour car-park after being told that we were off to do the weekly shop, kids in tow, which was simply the final straw at the end of a very uninspiring day. In contrast, my birthday last year was rather lovely (a morning on my own in a spa with no mobile coverage, pure selfish bliss). This year - in a few short months, eek! - I'll be hitting the grand old age of 38. This will be my las...