Skip to main content

Global Male Stereotypes: The Man Child

Since the popularity of the Dubai Stereotypes series - which seems to have run out of a bit of steam from my side recently - and in light of my current situation, I am starting a brand new series, Global Male Stereotypes.

At some point, although I must say I am in no hurry and in no way ready yet, I suppose I will have to start dating again. Not a very pleasant thought at the moment, frankly, but one I will have to face eventually. When that time comes I'll need to be armed with enough knowledge to be able to avoid the hounds, the rats, the emotionally stilted and all the other unsavory types on the prowl out there. 

In the interests of research I've been talking to my single friends about their experiences, and to my married friends about their encounters prior to entering the matrimonial state. We came up with a long list, enough to keep me busy writing for quite a while. 

Here is the first in the series: The Man-Child.

The Man Child is a more common phenomena than one might think. A boy dressed up in man's clothing, on first viewing you may consider him to be all grown up... but dig a little deeper and you'll discover the child that looms large within.

With a smile designed to melt the heart and an endearing vulnerable side, any woman with even a glimmer of a maternal streak will find the Man Child simply irresistible. But although he may be fun, sweet, cuddly and lovely to be around, Man Child has a darker side. 

Prone to throwing his toys out of the pram when thwarted and possessing legendary sulking powers when not allowed to have his own way, Man Child has his mummy on such a high pedestal that no mortal female could ever measure up. And, like any child when presented with a gift, he usually finds the packaging far more interesting than what's on the inside. 

Women be warned - however old he may be in physical years, Man Child is more interested in sampling the varied attractions of the playground of life than settling down. The good news is that one day he'll be forced to grow up... at which point he'll turn into the whole man he has the potential to be. 

The big question, though, is - can you be bothered enough to wait around until that day comes?

Next week: The Tortoise

Comments

Anonymous said…
Be warned - they never grow up. It is a personality type. Don't blame their Mama entirely. She had to put up with it before you and she was secretly glad to unload him on you, hoping you could cope better than she could. The oldest one I knew was 84 and still in his element until His Maker came a-calling!

PS Dating! What a quaint concept! Do you have to.
A dad said…
I think I'll just sit back and observe for this one :)
I'm with A dad. *pulls up a chair and settles down with a cuppa and a gingernut*
A dad said…
Oooh - I'll have one of those, thanks!
I’m really impressed with your article, such great information you mentioned here, thanks for your sharing
offshore companies in dubai
offshore company in UAE

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

A thought

Perhaps sometimes a gift can be delivered in the guise of a tragedy. It's just a matter of perception, after all. I suspect that the talent lies in looking beyond the surface to what lies beneath and beyond. And, of course, being able to make sense of it all and going on to apply that knowledge to building a productive way forward. Here's hoping.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

A friend recently emailed me to say that her big memory of her stay with us last year is that she had a great birthday, one of the few where she didn't 'act like a spoiled grumpy princess'. She tried to give me all the credit but as I explained to her, it was all down to having a fellow female organising the birthday fun rather than leaving it to her partner. Her email got me thinking about birthdays and how very different men and women are in their attitudes to celebrating special occasions. It also had me thinking about my birthday two years ago when I threw a major tantrum in the Carrefour car-park after being told that we were off to do the weekly shop, kids in tow, which was simply the final straw at the end of a very uninspiring day. In contrast, my birthday last year was rather lovely (a morning on my own in a spa with no mobile coverage, pure selfish bliss). This year - in a few short months, eek! - I'll be hitting the grand old age of 38. This will be my las...