Skip to main content

The Dubai Review: Mahiki Dubai

An outpost of the legendary London nightclub Mahiki opened in Dubai last week. I was meant to show up to the opening but, for one reason or another, I failed to make it. I was also invited to go the next night but, again, I didn't quite manage it. Rubbish, eh?

Last night, finally, I actually made it through the door of Mahiki Dubai accompanied by a selection of fine girlfriends for the new 'Pin Up Tuesday' night. And I was really, really glad that I made the effort.

Quite simply, Mahiki Dubai is sheer, unadulterated FUN. Here's the recipe:

- Take one part amusing decor, lots of seating space and a proper dance floor, all in the very convenient location of Jumeirah Beach Hotel
- Stir in an eclectic mix of highly danceable tunes from 1950's to present day (I swear the DJs even played the New Zealand Haka at one point)
- Shake it all up with a super-friendly up-for-it unpretentious mixed crowd
- Add a large troupe of affable and efficient barmen and two separate bars; what's not to love about not having to wait ages to be served?
- Mix in a bit of spice in the form of Mahiki's gorgeous girl dancers; especially entertaining when they accompany every order of the famous 'Treasure Chest' cocktail (a favorite of the younger UK Royals, or so rumour has it)
- Top it all off with a huge cocktail menu, includes 'driver's drinks' for those who choose not to over-indulge
- Garnish with a very generous offer of free cocktails for ladies... every Tuesday evening until midnight

The result is Dubai's newest and most essential nightlife hot-spot. Personally, I have a feeling I'm going to become a regular.

Check it out.


Comments

Sounds a great place, I will definitely go, and I'm really glad you had some well-deserved fun!
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kendrick said…
People always prefer to those things which are beneficial for them. The above points are very valuable. In the present era people become very busy they have no extra time to waste. So must follow above all points.
company formation dubai

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

A thought

Perhaps sometimes a gift can be delivered in the guise of a tragedy. It's just a matter of perception, after all. I suspect that the talent lies in looking beyond the surface to what lies beneath and beyond. And, of course, being able to make sense of it all and going on to apply that knowledge to building a productive way forward. Here's hoping.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

A friend recently emailed me to say that her big memory of her stay with us last year is that she had a great birthday, one of the few where she didn't 'act like a spoiled grumpy princess'. She tried to give me all the credit but as I explained to her, it was all down to having a fellow female organising the birthday fun rather than leaving it to her partner. Her email got me thinking about birthdays and how very different men and women are in their attitudes to celebrating special occasions. It also had me thinking about my birthday two years ago when I threw a major tantrum in the Carrefour car-park after being told that we were off to do the weekly shop, kids in tow, which was simply the final straw at the end of a very uninspiring day. In contrast, my birthday last year was rather lovely (a morning on my own in a spa with no mobile coverage, pure selfish bliss). This year - in a few short months, eek! - I'll be hitting the grand old age of 38. This will be my las...