Skip to main content

The journey: stage 2

NEVER fly Continental Airlines. It really is the Pound Shop of the aviation high street.

The planes are knackered, the leg room is tight even for a small person (I'm 5ft 2in, so if it's cramped for me then space really is at a premium), food is rubbish and they don't have baby seatbelts (outrageous) so I had to tie BB to me with a makeshift scarf arrangement. Plus today's flight cost the same as my last direct flight from Dubai to SFO on Emirates. On a more positive note, the air hostesses were really nice and couldn't do enough for BB and I.

Huge turbulence on the way in to Dulles, thank God for makeshift scarf arrangement as we were bouncing around in an alarming fashion due to an electrical storm - saw the lightning out of the aircraft window which made it all quite uncomfortably exciting.

Massive chaos at Dulles over the past fee hours due to the storm grounding most flights for a couple of hours or more earlier on, so a skeleton team of airport staff are frantically trying to get through the backlog. We're now due to leave for Frisco at 12.45am, a few hours of delay, while they try to locate our flight crew. It's all oddly amusing, or at least I can still be amused since I know I'm out of here soon enough, plus BB has been an absolute trouper and is currently snoring gently in her buggy.

I Feel really sorry for the people who can't get on a flight, though: one guy I spoke to has been on standby for 8 hours and still hasn't been assigned a seat. Lots of morose people milling about aimlessly and sleeping in random corners. A couple of people in tears.

Have now been awake for a total of 23 hours so excuse any typos.

Next post from San Francisco... :-)

Sent from my iPhone

Comments

Anonymous said…
No baby seat belts - now that is outrageous! Makeshift scarf arrangements just will not do. Continental Airlines - please take note!

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

A thought

Perhaps sometimes a gift can be delivered in the guise of a tragedy. It's just a matter of perception, after all. I suspect that the talent lies in looking beyond the surface to what lies beneath and beyond. And, of course, being able to make sense of it all and going on to apply that knowledge to building a productive way forward. Here's hoping.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

A friend recently emailed me to say that her big memory of her stay with us last year is that she had a great birthday, one of the few where she didn't 'act like a spoiled grumpy princess'. She tried to give me all the credit but as I explained to her, it was all down to having a fellow female organising the birthday fun rather than leaving it to her partner. Her email got me thinking about birthdays and how very different men and women are in their attitudes to celebrating special occasions. It also had me thinking about my birthday two years ago when I threw a major tantrum in the Carrefour car-park after being told that we were off to do the weekly shop, kids in tow, which was simply the final straw at the end of a very uninspiring day. In contrast, my birthday last year was rather lovely (a morning on my own in a spa with no mobile coverage, pure selfish bliss). This year - in a few short months, eek! - I'll be hitting the grand old age of 38. This will be my las...