Skip to main content

Back in Dubai

I'm back in Dubai and jet lagged to b*ggery (why else would I be posting at 4am?). Too many time zones in too short a time, it's a killer.

After getting in at 2am yesterday morning, the girls were comatose in bed until lunchtime so I made the most of the peace and quiet by getting out of the house to run a few errands. As my car is still in the garage having God knows what done to it, I was in the Daddy Pimpmobile which is great fun. Not only is Alpha's own personal nod to a mid-life crisis super-fast and emits a pleasing growl when you put your foot down, it's the sort of vehicle more often seen driving through South London at high speed with a police car in hot pursuit. Maybe I'm a bit odd (it has been said before) but the image of a mid-life mild-mannered matron such as myself driving such a dodgy-looking beast amuses me.

Driving in Dubai during Ramadan is a pleasurable experience because the roads are almost empty, which means that you can spend less time trying to stay alive (although admittedly dehydration and an empty tummy does appear to promote some astoundingly erratic driving) and more time being able to admire the city. Being away for the past month has made me look at Dubai with new eyes and appreciate how amazing it is. Obviously the weather helps (forget complaining about how hot it is right now, it's not that bad and after spending weeks shivering in Europe I'm more than happy to get a bit sweaty) as most things look better when the sun is shining, but the skyline is more than impressive, palm trees make me happy and I always was appreciative of on an arid landscape.

More than happy to be home; think I kind of got the travel bug out of my system for the time being. 

Comments

Circles in the Sand said…
There's no place like home! Hope the jet lag wears off quickly :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

A thought

Perhaps sometimes a gift can be delivered in the guise of a tragedy. It's just a matter of perception, after all. I suspect that the talent lies in looking beyond the surface to what lies beneath and beyond. And, of course, being able to make sense of it all and going on to apply that knowledge to building a productive way forward. Here's hoping.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

A friend recently emailed me to say that her big memory of her stay with us last year is that she had a great birthday, one of the few where she didn't 'act like a spoiled grumpy princess'. She tried to give me all the credit but as I explained to her, it was all down to having a fellow female organising the birthday fun rather than leaving it to her partner. Her email got me thinking about birthdays and how very different men and women are in their attitudes to celebrating special occasions. It also had me thinking about my birthday two years ago when I threw a major tantrum in the Carrefour car-park after being told that we were off to do the weekly shop, kids in tow, which was simply the final straw at the end of a very uninspiring day. In contrast, my birthday last year was rather lovely (a morning on my own in a spa with no mobile coverage, pure selfish bliss). This year - in a few short months, eek! - I'll be hitting the grand old age of 38. This will be my las...